Damaged reeds?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
phil23fair
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 250 Special

I went to start my TS1 this morning and on first kick there was a really loud backfire. Second kick it started fine. Is this a sign of damaged reeds?
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

A backfire can split the reeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

My last backfire spat one of the reeds back into the carb mouth! If it misfired, I'd be checking the woodruff key and timing set up first. The damage to the reed would be a consequence of the timing issue.
phil23fair

Cereal GY wrote:My last backfire spat one of the reeds back into the carb mouth! If it misfired, I'd be checking the woodruff key and timing set up first. The damage to the reed would be a consequence of the timing issue.
That's why I'm asking the question. I recently had to replace my LT coil. When I put the flywheel back on the light wasn't that good and I knocked the woodruff key out. It stuck between the magnets on the flywheel and I spent an age trying to get it my scooter to start knowing I had a good spark. It was only when I had two really loud backfires trying to start it I found the problem. Once the flywheel was back on in the correct position it started fine and I took my scooter out last weekend and didn't have any problems, but yesterday's backfire got me thinking I might have a problem.
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

Mine was down to the fact that the key decided to shear, 4 times in total, yet after changing it a 5th time and replacing the reeds it never happened again. I put it down to one of those lambretta puzzles! Sorry that's no more help.
phil23fair

I've had to order some gaskets for when I check the reeds, so ordered a set of reeds as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information