TSR Evo pipe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Has anyone tried one on a tuned TS1 and if so what gearing did you run? Mate said that it struggles into headwind and only does about 40mph.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

That would be very disappointing, especially given the claims of producing it's power over a wide range.
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

Got the TT version, which is very similar afaik but with a few tweaks by Darrell.

I run a GP200 box, 19/46 and its hit high 70's into the wind.
wack 63

Strange really, I had a go on it when first fitted over winter and I thought it went well but then the owner is in his 60's so I'd guess he dropped out the power. I think it has an AF Indian close ratio box but not sure on sprockets used ,possibly 19x46. Changed to the TSR from a Taffy mk4
Minority

wack 63 wrote:Strange really, I had a go on it when first fitted over winter and I thought it went well but then the owner is in his 60's so I'd guess he dropped out the power.
I'm in my 60's and I take exception to that assumption :lol:
Last edited by Minority on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minority

One of the reasons I said it would be very disappointing is that I had one on the way!!
It's arrived now (nice quick delivery) so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
It's replacing a JL3 on a reed valved Rapido 225 with 183/125 exhaust/transfer timing, Kytronik ignition module and a Cyclone 5 speed (final drive 4.7).
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

I tried one on my newly built cast 200 with reedvalve, and compared to the Franspeed Road pipe I also tried it was as good if not better in the lower gears. it would pull from 20mph in 4th (4.8FD) with no problem. I would have bought one if I hadn't managed to get a Supertourer for a good price.
Whar gearing is your mate using?
wack 63

19x46,4.8 I think. It went well back wind he said , just struggled headwind.
eden
Dealer

From what ive seen of those pipes both dyno curves and video of scooters running them they seem to make the motors peaky but at a lowish rpm, in other words they seem to give a narrow spread of power and the power dies off very quick just after 7000 rpm. this would line up with what your mate is saying on his TS1 in that under the power it wont pull and as the power is narrow even if he screams it in 3rd before changing upto 4th unless its geared to be back in the narrow power band it will die off and struggle.

However as everyone knows, if the tune doesn't match the exhaust it just wont work well, asking which exhaust is best is like asking if apples or pears are what ever. What exhaust to use depends on your port timings and what you want your engine to do.

here is a good example....

the franspeed race is banded around as being peaky and not having mid rpm grunt, that is true if the motor isn't setup to specifically use that exhaust but if its used with a motor that is tuned to work with that pipe it pulls well all the way through the rpm range.

here is a video of the franrace pulling from around 5600 rpm up to 8000 rpm in top gear on 4.7 final drive on a motor that's setup specifically for that exhaust.
it pulls great.
(25 second long video)

the next video at the start shows the same motor using the franrace pulling 4th gear on 4,7 final drive pulling from about 2600 rpm upto around 5600 rpm.
again it pulls it well enough.
footage from 52 seconds to 1:14

Real world video like this is much more informative than dyno curves to the majority of people, dyno curves can be manipulated to look better than they really are, for example, stretching a curve horizontally can make a curve look like it has a wider power curve to the untrained eye than it actually has, seeing an engine pulling on the road with an accurate speedo and a sound track that makes the engine note clear is a more honest refection of how a motor really works out on the road.

You could spend a long time and a lot of money trying to find an exhaust that works best with your motor, it makes much more sense to pick an exhaust and set your motor up to work with it.
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

Any independent dyno charts for these pipes to check out?
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information