TSR Evo pipe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

No but I always seal all joints anyway also seems to stop wear.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

What I love about the graph is that it illustrates pretty nicely how tuning is often a case of 'swings and roundabouts' with a loss here for a gain there. If you note that all pipes are roughly putting out the same at 5500 rpm and use this as a pivot point, you can gain more below those revs to lose a similar amount beyond them or vice versa.

This is a good illustration of why you rarely get more of both and why the RM Superclubman gives a 'twist and go' power delivery from a tickover standing start, e.g. sitting at traffic lights and then setting off, with little needed in the way of rev rise to get it moving. The JL Race leaves the clubman for dead in the BHP states further up the rev range but that is at the cost of giving it a handful of revs and slipping the clutch to set off from a standing start. It all depends on how you like to ride and what revs you want to be doing. In a race situation, where you only launch once and you're happy doing the revs, the JL Race kicks ass, just as it does for BHP figures on a dyno, or screaming at high revs on the road. If that's how you like to ride then that is the perfect pipe for you.

If you want to have somewhere in between these two extremes then look at the pipes in between, which is also likely to result in a nice power delivery on the road but doesn't allow you to win the 'pub talk' debate as they are jack of all trades, master of none. If you really don't give a * what people think in the pub (well done you) then simply pick a pipe that suits your riding style and enjoy it :)

Adam
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Had a chance to spend a bit of time on the jetting with the TSR Evo fitted - and it seems to go quite nicely.
It's all "seat of the pants" comparisons as no Dyno available, but it's pretty much as I expected. I don't think it looses much to the JL3 at the bottom, if anything, and pulls nice and cleanly from low revs (which may have as much to do with the reed valve conversion as the exhaust, certainly the JL3 was less likely to stall at low revs than when it was piston ported). I think the power may come in a bit later than the JL3 (but not by much at all) but there definitely seems more of it when it does arrive. All in all a good value for money exhaust, I'll be very happy if it last without falling to bits in the long term. (oh and it is noisier than the JL3, has that lovely two stroke "crack" to the exhaust note :D )
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

mikeallen wrote:I have one of these pipes which is still sitting in its box as I've not had time to fit it to the scooter yet but, on first inspection I'm concerned how the downpipe connects into the main body of the exhaust. The main body slides into the downpipe rather than the other way round like a clubman where the downpipe slides into the main body of the exhaust in the direction of the gas flow.

Surely if the main body slides into the downpipe rather than the other way round this joint is likely to blow :?

just wondered if those that have fitted this pipe found this a problem :?:

cheers
Mike
I've found that it does blow a bit and spray black shite down the side of the casing, however, a smidgeon of gasket paste on the outside of the stub upon removal/refitting has cured it - and brought my EGT temps down 50 deg C across the board.
slangen
Main scooter: TV200

I've fitted a TSR Evo to a gt200 and I had serious ground out problem, I grounded out the expansion on a corner in town and hit a bump in the road twice. Anyone else had ground clearance problems?
shocky

Sounds like my last jl3 .....
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
eden
Dealer

slangen wrote:I've fitted a TSR Evo to a gt200 and I had serious ground out problem, I grounded out the expansion on a corner in town and hit a bump in the road twice. Anyone else had ground clearance problems?
is your rear shock feked?
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

slangen wrote:I've fitted a TSR Evo to a gt200 and I had serious ground out problem, I grounded out the expansion on a corner in town and hit a bump in the road twice. Anyone else had ground clearance problems?

Yes, mine is liable to grounding, but I've put it down to a R1 rear shocker which is slightly shorter.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

same issues with grounding out with cast stub fitted, like most things they need a fettle to suit
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Heading to Dutch lions rally, I've dropped the front sprocket to 15 with SX200 box with pipe nd it flies, pulls in top from 30 mph topping out at 75 mph with GT 200 kit bolted on :) oh and it sips fuel approx 50% less than avanti which will get same pipe on soon ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information