any had any bad experiences with the wire ringed SR pistons

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
scooterslag

I know the first batch was supposed to be a bit wanky and prone to problems but has anyone ran one of these without anything major going wrong? they do/did seem to get a bad press
The mack daddy on the left!
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I thought the original SR pistons had an incorrect taper which gave rise to some "piston slap"- whilst this didn't effect their performance, they caused a noisy engine. Apart from that I had no problems with them and had no nip ups or anything.

I thought they didn't produce any further pistons but just let supplies run down.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
scooterslag

bristolmod wrote:I thought the original SR pistons had an incorrect taper which gave rise to some "piston slap"- whilst this didn't effect their performance, they caused a noisy engine. Apart from that I had no problems with them and had no nip ups or anything.

I thought they didn't produce any further pistons but just let supplies run down.

Chris
You might be right, I heard that they tried a second batch after the failures of the first, could be wrong though... fancy trying a 175 piston in a barrel which has had the ports taken out a tad oversized of the 60% safe size for standard rings, figured the wire rings would be just the ticket and for £35 thought it might be worth a punt, just wanted to see how other people got on with them first.
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

had 2 that run their life course in mildly tuned engines no probs,had one that dropped the ring peg after 50 miles and one that dropped the ring peg new from the box so pot luck if you want to take a chance
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

gudgon pin hole was oversized early pistons ratled and failed
C’est la vie
scooterslag

Think I'll give them a miss, thanks for the replies. Paul
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

Been running an original sr190 with original piston for about 10 years. Only a small rattle on tick over. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information