Rear shock oil.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ihateyoubutler

Anyone know the correct weight oil for a rear shock (series 2/3). Stripped a couple of original ones and they should rebuild ok.
Thanks.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

That's something I've been thinking about today,having messed about with m/c forks in the past I found 15 wt to be a very firm ride on the road .I think 10wt would be best in a rear shock but it also depends on how much fluid you put in and the air gap plus your weight. I think you would only need a 250ml bottle to try so if it does'nt work it hasn't cost a lot to then try 5wt.Perhaps somewhere like Hagon could advise?
vegansydney

From the old LCUSA forum:
Usually 10-15wt is about standard for most riders.... I just went and got some 20wt synthetic motor oil cause I'm a big fatty
Also stated that 'around' 90ml of oil was required but I've seen 35ml mentioned elsewhere. By comparison, a Vespa GS/SS front shock takes 13wt (see links below).

Did you find a source for the seals?

Beedspeed also sell the rubber bushings. Mine are still sitting on the shelf, so can't comment on fitment.

Luna rear shock rebuild

Rear shock rebuild

Rear shock rebuild

Vespa GS/SS front shock rebuild
Ihateyoubutler

Thanks for the replies.Tried 7.5 wt in one last year and it was definately too thin.
Haven't sourced the seals yet, but they don't look anything special. I'll have another go next week and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information