Vijai Super Mk 2 Gear box

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Just re- building up 150 engine from scratch, clubman exhaust and 22 Jetex and was contemplating putting in the above gear box, because I have one. However, looking at the "gear box visualizer," it doesn't look good, too big a jump into 4th gear and a final ratio of 4.82 with a 46 and 15 sprockets. Original gear box was missing, as we all know its a great gear box for tuned motors.

Has anyone any experience of this gear box.

PS, this engine is going back into its original scooter and will be sold, but want to sell scooter as a good experience rather than someone coming back and complaining.
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Pretty sure that's what I tried in mine, thought it would be an easy way to up the ratio from a standard 5.2 gp200 box to 4.8.
turns out I just ended up with the same gearing in 1st 2nd and 3rd but with a huge gap to 4th.
Put the old box back in with different sprockets fairly sharpish.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Marty ULC wrote:Pretty sure that's what I tried in mine, thought it would be an easy way to up the ratio from a standard 5.2 gp200 box to 4.8.
turns out I just ended up with the same gearing in 1st 2nd and 3rd but with a huge gap to 4th.
Put the old box back in with different sprockets fairly sharpish.
Are you sure it wasn't the SX150/GP150 gearbox.The Vijay mk2 gearbox only shares 1st gear size with the GP200,all the rest are different.
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

It's no good mate a very poor box I had one in my muggy and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding changed for an early mk1 box it was like night and day
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Thanks for the replies, also got similar on the LCGB forum, together with my reply as below, which is all good for feedback:

It just confirms that it would be a bad move to fit this gear box to my Li150.

However, I ended up with this gear box when I bought a fully re-built Italian GP200 engine from the guy who said that he had used quality parts for a quality price.
It was only when I started to ride my GP that i realized no matter how much I revved it, I could never progress in 4th gear. In fact, usually ended up in third gear most of the time. Suspecting the gear box, I stripped it down and found the Vijai gearbox. Swapped it for a 200 gear box and total difference and the guy I bought it off sounded surprised that he had put in that type of box. :evil:
However, did think for a split second that it might work OK in a 150, but after looking at the gear box visualizer, it looked a dead duck. So it looks like this gear box will sit on my shelf for a long time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information