Mini Atomic Reed Valve

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Cheers Nev. I'll have a look ;) :D
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

Hi FastFrop used a LTH reed valve, when I emailed Corrado he said he is running a small Atomic one on his Mugello 225, think he said he had to modify a small part of the fins but it can't be much as a std barrel it fits straight on no messing. You will need to either cut a hole in the piston or go to Supertune site as they were selling pistons with holes cut in them if my memory serves me right. Give Ron Moss a ring he will be able to answer your questions.
dapper

Cheers Andy. If I go with it I'll pop up and see Ron. He's only 20 miles away & I always enjoy a chat with him ;) :D
shocky

dapper wrote:
shocky wrote:Im watchingthis with interest dapper have you bought one yet?
Not yet Steve. Only happened to look at it yesterday. Saw the other one they do and then a link to this one. Have an Avanti kit on at present with the larger cooling fins and was getting a lot of spit back last year, so have been thinking of a reed valve to improve that issue & fuel consumption/starting/power spread and then saw the link to this one. Not sure whether its too small for a 225cc. :? :!: :?: Don't like the idea of cutting so much off the fins to fit the other one and can't be arsed to tell the truth. Spending £450 on a top new kit and then having to cut half the feckin fins away is not my way of doing things. :roll: :D May be giving that nice Mr Corrado a call later this week. Do you really have to cut holes in the piston or can you just fit it anyway, if no holes cut what effect will this have?
theres a thread on the other side about this very subject ive not commented on it yet
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
steveg

I ran one all last year on my (Yam pistoned) Rapido 230. No cutting of fins and plenty of clearance with a 30mm PHBH and remote filter. Mine is a touring set up in a S1 so not lightening quick pick up/acceleration but it's no slouch either and the fuel consumption is equivalent to others in our group who are running smaller engines (ie around 12 mile 1L). Hope that helps
joey

..fitted one to a vega casa 80 kit..faster,smoother quieter more torque..added a power jet as well..be better after a dyno session.. But very happy with improvements..
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

What size carb did you use on that? They look more suitable for larger carbs.
dapper

Martin's site (Just Lambretta) shows out of stock of this reed valve at the moment :(
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

dapper wrote:
shocky wrote:Im watchingthis with interest dapper have you bought one yet?
Not yet Steve. Only happened to look at it yesterday. Saw the other one they do and then a link to this one. Have an Avanti kit on at present with the larger cooling fins and was getting a lot of spit back last year, so have been thinking of a reed valve to improve that issue & fuel consumption/starting/power spread and then saw the link to this one. Not sure whether its too small for a 225cc. :? :!: :?: Don't like the idea of cutting so much off the fins to fit the other one and can't be arsed to tell the truth. Spending £450 on a top new kit and then having to cut half the feckin fins away is not my way of doing things. :roll: :D May be giving that nice Mr Corrado a call later this week. Do you really have to cut holes in the piston or can you just fit it anyway, if no holes cut what effect will this have?
I think the conclusion when Scootering did a test like that a couple of years back was that it made no difference or made it slightly worse due to the obstruction of the inlet flow, the idea with a reed valve is to get as near to 360 degree inlet timing as you can so that the valve controls the flow and not the piston.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

^ yes but the avanti likes a bit spitback....the valve will pay for itself and the mess goes with it! I used an lth had someone do it for me...if you fit a 60/110 crank it's minimal work to get it to fit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information