brass exhaust nuts

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tavspeed

nordlock washers,bent chain tensioner tab,lock wired,oh and a dab of loctite to be on the safe side, :D
gaz_powell

manifold on, decent flat type spring washer (not the round type) then nut with round end up against the washer.

I use ali barrels so I want studs in the barrel and not bolts.

Gaz
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

bristolmod wrote:oh this ones gonna run and run.................
And what oil would you all suggest?
TS1-200

Daggs wrote:They're supposed to go on with hex. side to the manifold flange with a spring washer underneath. This way gives the greatest surface area contact.
They are made of brass because the combination of extreme heat and exposure to the elements, would make steel versions lock solid on the studs in no time. The nuts are deliberately weaker than the studs to make difficult removal unlikely to damage the studs.
The nuts should be considered as consumables.
Actually its exactly the opposite should go on round side to manifold with a spring washer and a plain washer
Keep on keepin on
slangen
Main scooter: TV200

gaz_powell wrote:
I use ali barrels so I want studs in the barrel and not bolts.

Gaz
That's a good point you will most definitely get a more even distribution of torque load with studs and nuts. However if a stud worked loose in the middle of nowhere it would be hard to fix on the side of the road. By now this is getting silly let's discuss oils...
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

I've always been confused over this issue, but since getting Sticky's second edition, (page 112). I've always followed the example below from Mark Broadhurst. Some might disagree, but if its Ok for MB, then I'll go along with their experience.

gaz_powell

I put some medium strength loctite on the studs on assembly to stop them coming out.
never had a problem with studs coming out or nuts coming loose.

if holes on manifold have had to be elongated then a flat washer is used - just depends
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

paulnobodyimportant wrote:I've always been confused over this issue, but since getting Sticky's second edition, (page 112). I've always followed the example below from Mark Broadhurst. Some might disagree, but if its Ok for MB, then I'll go along with their experience.

....that's how I've always done them... :D
davla

The whole point of a spring washer is that it gets stuck into the surface that you're screwing the nut up against and the nut, and helps prevent the nut coming undone. The extra flat washer completely negates the effect of the spring washer. It may create some tension but it's not doing what it's designed to do.
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

[quote="davla"]The whole point of a spring washer is that it gets stuck into the surface that you're screwing the nut up against and the nut, and helps prevent the nut coming undone. The extra flat washer completely negates the effect of the spring washer. It may create some tension but it's not doing what it's desig
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information