Saigon bike clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mawso

These have been available now for a few years and searching on here there were a few members who had just fitted them back in 2011. Does anyone still run one?

Previous issues had been springs don't seat into any recess, springs don't have much compression, springs are almost coilbound just from tightening allen studs, plates were slipping, clutch engaged with minimum lever travel.

I have had one sat in a box for a few years that's supposed to be a MK2 version with better plates but the springs still look almost coilbound. Posts on here said that afte while they settled in nicely and the action was easy and smooth, but I can't see any posts recently on them or from anyone who has put any mileage through them.

Did anyone find any springs with less coils that fit and give the lever more action or any thinner steels or plates?

Any feedback appreciated as have an engine waiting for a clutch and seeing as I have one here, I'd like to use it. Bike will be around 21hp with gearing around 4.8 with a Taffy Saigon pipe. Posted this on Street Racers page on FB but didn't get a reply from anyone that has or is using one.

Cheers.
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

I had one on my Monza 225, not the most powerful tune, but the clutch was not strong enough. Perhaps not helped by my 18st, but tbh I ended up going back to a 4 plate with extra strong springs.

On a std motor it might have been ok, certainly really smooth and lovely action at the lever.
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

i fitted one to a standard 200 a few years back , nice smooth clutch and easy to fit , but i dont think it would manage 21 hp ,
coaster

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread but I have just fitted one of these clutches to my TS1 engine. mine has a nipple in the centre of the pressure plate which suits my Li casing perfectly. However, whilst assembling it I noticed that one of the steel plates is 'dished' and not flat like all the others :? I went ahead and installed it and all seemed fine. The lever is the lightest I've ever experienced and it engaged and disengaged really nicely pottering up and down the drive. Out on the road it's a different matter, open the throttle in 3rd or 4th and the clutch slips like buggery as soon as the power band comes in, noticeably worse than the Reedspeed 5 plate it replaced. Just suspecting it's the dished steel as causing it, any thoughts or anyone hazard a guess as to the origins of the clutch plates?
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I tried getting one to work in an Imola motor making 20BHP. It did the same as yours, nice in and out of gear, but slipped when on the power. I had it in and out a dozen times, then gave up on it. I fitted the Readspeed 5 plate kit, and it was spot on. If it were me, I'd not bother messing about with another one.
coaster

10 inch Terror wrote:I tried getting one to work in an Imola motor making 20BHP. It did the same as yours, nice in and out of gear, but slipped when on the power. I had it in and out a dozen times, then gave up on it. I fitted the Readspeed 5 plate kit, and it was spot on. If it were me, I'd not bother messing about with another one.
Unfortunately it's not in my nature to accept sensible advice first time round so will play about with it a bit more and then sling it in the bin ;)

I think I heard mention of Honda 125 clutches being used as the basis and the CG 125 does look similar?

Cheers

Colin
mawso

They're designed by a friend - Morris Lambretta from Thailand then were licensed to Saigon, but they had a fall out. There's 2 versions, think mine is 2nd version but with extra lightening holes cut out of crown wheel. One I have was made by Morris not Saigon. Morris sent me some replacement genuine Honda plates for it, I can get the part number of the packets as they're unopened. Never fitted it as it was planned for a bigger engine, then got told about 20BHP max. To look at it the springs don't have much room to compress which must be what makes the lever action short and quite thick steels. Morris used one in his TS1 and in an RB so he must have sorted it out to work ok. He rode to China on the RB from Thailand with that clutch I think. I will message him and ask what BHP his were working up to and what changes he made if any. Still have it all packed away, glad you posted about it, I'd forgotten about it and Morris is into building bicycles these days so doesn't really do anything scooter related anymore.
shamrockexpress

I ran one of these clutches in a stage 4 200 last year it was perfect all round,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,obviously didn't hit 20hp though.
Otherwise it was good. Certainly easy on the hand and no lurching or slipping.
would buy another one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,just cant be arsed trying to find one half way across asia.
immylam

Had one in my Jet running with only a rapido road 225 kit and it slipped top revs. I had it in and out about a dozen times , dremeled , filed shimmed , swapped parts with one a mate had. To no avail ( and I am also a stubborn sort that doesn't like to give in) Was lucky that I got half my cash back as the mate bought it as spares for his (much older version) which worked perfectly with his TS1.
coaster

mawso wrote:They're designed by a friend - Morris Lambretta from Thailand then were licensed to Saigon, but they had a fall out. There's 2 versions, think mine is 2nd version but with extra lightening holes cut out of crown wheel. One I have was made by Morris not Saigon. Morris sent me some replacement genuine Honda plates for it, I can get the part number of the packets as they're unopened. Never fitted it as it was planned for a bigger engine, then got told about 20BHP max. To look at it the springs don't have much room to compress which must be what makes the lever action short and quite thick steels. Morris used one in his TS1 and in an RB so he must have sorted it out to work ok. He rode to China on the RB from Thailand with that clutch I think. I will message him and ask what BHP his were working up to and what changes he made if any. Still have it all packed away, glad you posted about it, I'd forgotten about it and Morris is into building bicycles these days so doesn't really do anything scooter related anymore.
Yes please m8, the dealer I saw selling steels and plates for the CG125 which LOOKS similar also offers 10% uprated springs which is interesting.

It would be good to get it sorted as it is a very well made bit of kit and the action is lovely, no drag whatsoever. Mine is the Li type so I didn't have the brass plunger clearance problem that GP's suffer from. I have an AF Rayspeed Road clutch on the shelf too so I will use that for now in the TS1 and the SSC one will go in my Avanti when I get round to putting it back together 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information