Mixing clutch corks?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Fitted a new MB 47 tooth crown wheel,just put the clutch plates back in massive gap when the clutch is fully compressed with the clutch compressor.Changed it again to 1.5mm steels & a GP3mm top plate gap now at 2.09mm -readspeed 5 plate clutch.Is this too big a gap? Or would maybe putting a thicker cork plate in take up the gap? looked around on the interweb and can't see any thicker top plates that the GP type or thicker steels than 1.5mm.But it would be a different compound to the readspeed corks or shouldn't you mix and match?
Going in a race rapido 225
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

sorted :) Found 2 oddball clutch steels in my box of odds & sods (not a top plate!!) that was slightly thicker than 1.5mm ,just got it below the 2mm mark now on the gap.Normally try & get 1.5 mm gap, but reading camlam site up to 2mm is OK.
Below off their site
". Next you need to fully compress the assembly using your clutch compressor,
check the clearance between the top clutch plate and the top friction plate situated underneath it, this
should be between 1mm and 2mm clearance."
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Can't see it making a huge difference, but if you're happy with it now all's good :-)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
coaster

I have previously mixed the friction discs to get close to the 1.5mm and the clutch worked fine. The Redspeed clutch I am currently using has an extra steel inserted under the top steel to close the gap and that works fine too 8-)
shocky

Ive got a tino 47 deep sprocket and a lambro 5 plate center I have a 3 mm gap now using standard indian corks and steels with a 2.5 mm top plate not a hint of a problem very light action and only 4 cork plates do spend alot of time miking sure nothing drags catches or sticks with all my components I also used a .8mm shim under the crown wheel and adjusted the front sprocket to suit this way I get the clutch as far away from the kickstart as possible
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

coaster wrote:The Redspeed clutch I am currently using has an extra steel inserted under the top steel to close the gap and that works fine too 8-)
Ah, good to know, it's a question I'd been meaning to ask. I'd wondered about the metal on metal aspect.
coaster

corrado wrote:
coaster wrote:The Redspeed clutch I am currently using has an extra steel inserted under the top steel to close the gap and that works fine too 8-)
Ah, good to know, it's a question I'd been meaning to ask. I'd wondered about the metal on metal aspect.
They both rotate together Martin and in a bath of oil so should be no problem ;)
monument7
Main scooter: Li auto conversion 180

You must remember to soak your corks :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... FN9Km9KFXU
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information