Piston grade

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

Idiot question time.

What does the grade A B C , stand for?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I think its the actual size of the piston as fitted into the bore at the factory.

It takes into allowance production tolerances- some bores are slightly larger/ smaller than others, therefore this has to be allowed for when fitting a piston.

I think.......

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

My understanding of it is. A grade is just that, A grade the best piston you can get, I may be wrong ! It wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last . :roll:
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

From a Q asking the same on mb site

"A B C D, what is the difference? Regard "
MB Group, Serious Outdoors Ltd replied: These pistons come graded to suit the cylinder bore size, on the cylinder there should be a letter A, B, C or D. Usually if the bore is not worn you match a piston to bore. A = A etc, if not sure sure let us measure the bore for you.
Boo

When the bore wears you could go from a grade A to a grade B piston and so on.They go up in .0005" (inch) incriments.
Pistons and barrels are usually matched.
Lambrettas are for life!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

cgt75b wrote:My understanding of it is. A grade is just that, A grade the best piston you can get, I may be wrong ! It wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last . :roll:
Yep you're wrong.

It's related to the bore & clearance, on a nominal 70mm bore the ABC Pistons might be 69.95, 69.96, 69.97. Might mean different for different manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

rosscla wrote:
cgt75b wrote:My understanding of it is. A grade is just that, A grade the best piston you can get, I may be wrong ! It wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last . :roll:
Yep you're wrong.

It's related to the bore & clearance, on a nominal 70mm bore the ABC Pistons might be 69.95, 69.96, 69.97. Might mean different for different manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Rosscla for the explanation, I've learnt something new today :D
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

That's why most people stick to class A drugs, you are guaranteed better quality. That's right isn't it? lol ;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

we were discussing this at the weekend, a mate was looking into mitaka 70mm pistons.
he was told, by supertune, that A ~ 69.97mm; B ~ 69.98mm; C ~ 69.99mm
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

byron wrote:we were discussing this at the weekend, a mate was looking into mitaka 70mm pistons.
he was told, by supertune, that A ~ 69.97mm; B ~ 69.98mm; C ~ 69.99mm
Agree, had the same figures for the non avanti pistons. Other kits may be different and will be matched to the bore to get the right tolerance. If in doubt get it measured by someone who knows how to work bore gauges.

Original SIL barrels for example are often graded -, 0, + and pistons available to match. Once they've been rebored though all bets are off.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information