any long term Avanti kit reports?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
andycap

hi all,any news on your Avantis? cheers Andy.Just like reading the threads!
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

#123 still going strong, does what it said on the tin. You could say it's got "Ronseal" of approval...... :s
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I can't remember the number of mine... it has been that long since it was last stripped down!

Mine is my regular workhorse and has taken me as far as Avignon, IoM, national rallies, etc. It commutes, it tours, it allows me to tear around when I feel like it... as said previously, it does what it says on the tin :)

Adam
coaster

Adam_Winstone wrote:I can't remember the number of mine... it has been that long since it was last stripped down!

Mine is my regular workhorse and has taken me as far as Avignon, IoM, national rallies, etc. It commutes, it tours, it allows me to tear around when I feel like it... as said previously, it does what it says on the tin :)

Adam
Mine (109 I think) is still going strong. I stripped the top and bottom end prior to the Euro in Davos and fitted new rings, seals bearings and it got there and back (1600) miles without any drama (other than altitude sickness lol) but it recently has shown signs of running lean above half throttle. I thought it might be the exhaust gasket again so took the opportunity to change the faithful JL3 for a Franspeed Avanti Supertourer. That didn't fix the weak running but the pipe certainly has some different characteristics which I'm still getting used to, it seems to have reasonable grunt from just over 4k rpm but really comes in with a sudden kick just below 5k rpm but seems to run out of puff before 7k rpm. That might be the weak mixture though I guess, a leak down test will be on the cards over winter.

Colin
Adam_Winstone

^... have you seen Captain Pugwash's thread about seal failure and how that makes a proven runner start to feel weak?
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Due to personal reasons mines been parked all year, hoping for a better 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I've had 3 years on the road with kit No. 71. Most travelling is to and from rallies and I suspect i've done close to 10K miles. Not had any major issues. I'm stripping it down over winter and putting new rings in and trying it with a Mikuni to hopefully reduce the spitback (i've been running a PHBH). I've bought a 2nd kit and will hopefully be getting that on the road sometime next year.
coaster

Adam_Winstone wrote:^... have you seen Captain Pugwash's thread about seal failure and how that makes a proven runner start to feel weak?
Yes I did Adam, it was what made me think about the seal as a cause. It went very suddenly, I had a thrash up the A11 to visit Byron's Lambretta Rehab workshop and it absolutely flew, did in the region of 10 miles at over 70mph. I have one of Darrel's hand chokes and used it to check for weak running every mile or so. On the way back it suddenly felt a bit different so I pulled the choke and it had no effect (I was doing 65 at the time), slowed down in stages using the choke to check for a richening effect and it didn't do anything until I got to 45 mph :? Thought it might be fuel so stopped and topped up but no different.

Colin
Adam_Winstone

Sounds as though it is worth a look at the top end but could be something as simple as the exhaust coming loose at the gasket face. Let's hope it is simple to resolve.

Adam
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Mines running fine, stripped it earlier in year and was very pleased with condition of components, ring gap had hardly worn, one or two marks on cylinder but note i run n filtered. There was a little bit of marking on piston from bridge port but nothing to worry about
I did clean up exh port, got squish bang on and fitted a-f close ratio box which did yield 3mph more at this years scooter shootout hitting 80.9 mph on 1/4 finishing a place up, 4th overall in class .

I've not used it as much this year and when asked its ran faultless, made journey mainly full chat from Martlesham to lowestoft in 30 mins with a Harley following hitting genuine 80+ :)

I've got a new pipe, Kepher ignition, new piston and some other ideas to play with over winter months ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information