mugello 225 gearing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

Hello, Im running a 225 mugello, its an early version, 30 mil dellorto , jl 3 exhaust, plug is a nice brown, starts well , it has indian gp 200 gearbox, 47 x 18 sprockets, indian electronic , it pulls really good in 1st ,2nd and flies in 3rd if you hold the revs but it dies a death in fourth, and its shite up any sort of hill , im guessing its gearing or maybe exhaust ? it will pull on a slight downhill but on the flat its crap , anyone else running this set up thanks.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Don't think gearing is the problem.
You have a 5.22 final drive ratio, which is fairly low, and with an Indian GP 200 box a small jump from 3rd to 4th.
Maybe you just don't have enough power/torque?
I had the same gearing with a Rapido classic 225 (30mm carb and JL3) and it would rev out very easily on the flat.
I weigh about 83kg by the way.
goldeneye

some late indian GP200"s had a GP150 gearbox in from the factory (probably what they had at the time) sounds like you may have one.
gerryjunior

i think the gearbox was from a late indian gp, maybe i should have checked the gears :D , think ill be stripping it , ah balls.. i have a rapido on the shelf i might give it a go , looking at the mugello ports i wasnt impressed, i would like it to hold 60 and touch 70 :o
nelson pk

What main jet are you running? Is it open mouthed or filter. Have you strobed timing? what speed/revs are you changing into 4th? Does sound like gearing but an oversized main jet etc can cause these symptoms too.
Is it a new kit, if not did you check ring gap etc.....a badly set up motor will give these symtoms. A muggy 225 should give you 60 and touch 70.
camel

i bought a scooter a while ago with the same early muggello 225 and it was dire and much as you described,i put an iron stage 4 on and it was much better,i kept the kit and reworked it and fitted a reed valve and now its a flyer,one thing i found out when researching the muggello 225 problems(and your not alone)is that the transfer timing is very low and benefits from adding a packer under the barrel,i ended up using a 1mm alloy packing plate to get the transfers where i wanted them,im not saying yours has this fault but its something to consider,at bdc the piston edge wants to be dead flush with the bottom of the transfer port.a 60mm stroke crank helps this problem also....but in my case a base packer was cheaper
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

NB: Anyone reading this who might have an early Mugello 225 (in standard port spec), with short/restrictive transfer timing, that they might want to get shot of... please note that I'm after one ;) If you have, please drop me a PM?

Ta

Adam
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

Sounds like the same problem I had when I had the Muggy 18 turns out it was a late Indian GP150 box in the casing once this was changed out for an earlier version the difference was night and day. I'd open up the casing and check what box you have in there.
gerryjunior

ill check the gearbox over christmas , have a feeling its this as it fly's in 2nd and 3rd then dies a death in 4th...
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Mines about 8 years or more old but not sure what version tbh. Fitted an Atomic reed, Mikuni TMX27, Avanti head, ADS3 and with 4.7 drive it flies up any hills. I would go taller still but I'm using an LTH clutch which I don't want to change.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information