New RB 250 Starting Problem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

I got it started with the 34 Dellorto but it hadn't the mods do to it, it started a few time and ran for a few minutes but then suddenly stopped. I got the carb mods done by Rayspeed, put the carb back on but it still wouldn't start, so I put some petrol through the spark plug and it started. I can only imagine the reed valve is damaged but how can I check them or does someone have any idea what to do next to get it going?
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Why do you suspect the reeds? It is not often that this component fails.
Martin
Lamaddict

I just can't work out what else it could be, I know the timing is close as I managaed to strode it when I got it started before and the spark looks strong. It's fuel related somehow?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

choke?
C’est la vie
FREAK
Main scooter: Rb225 GP LAMBRETTA

ive had a few problems with delortos (new out the box ) bad castings ,stick a tmx,airstriker on :D
gaz_powell

What carb mods do rayspeed do ? Is it to drill out the casting in the inlet ? Or something else
Lamaddict

Rayspeed, solder something on the side of the carb, nip the brass pipe in the float chamber, put a groove on the mounting area for the rubber and turn the face down so it can fit under the side panel. It did run before this but stopped, even with the carb mods it still will not start, unless I put petrol into through the spark plug and then it starts and screams.

The choke is fine.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Lamaddict wrote:and then it starts and screams.
As in revs it's tits off? ..... Sounds like an air leak.
sydduckett

corrado wrote:
Lamaddict wrote:and then it starts and screams.
As in revs it's tits off? ..... Sounds like an air leak.
Dito, we done a DIY air leak test with a mountain bike tube and pump after it had been dynoed, was also told it was rich after the dyno. To be honest we struggled to find any leaks at first even though the tube would deflate after pumping. Tried wd40 and soapy water but ended up inverting the engine in a water butt. Was able to then see 2 massive leaks from the carb inlet, one through the bolt hole and another through the gasket face.
Defo worth trying.
Markpm
Main scooter: LI series 3 RB200

Is it getting fuel at all?
Have you checked the floats etc???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information