AF CASSETTE CLUTCH PROBLEMS.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rally220
Main scooter: Lambretta S2 TS1 240

Any one help here, had a 'mare with my TS1, it was fitted with an SSC cassette clutch and atomic 46 crown wheel, but slipped like hell as soon as revs raised. The gearbox, LI 150, also jumped out of gear constantly on the power, adjusted cables etc. The lad who built it fitted extra springs, which made the clutch action very stiff and put a uprated selector spring which sorted the jumping out of gears but made the gearchange slightly stiffer.

Took it up to Morecambe and again clutch slipped like hell, so took it back and told him to fit an AF Road Cassette clutch, thinking this would sort the problem.
Anyway he told me he had a nightmare setting the clutch up saying he had the case of 6 times trying to set it up. He spoke to Ben from AF who told him they need 'bedding in' either 100 miles road use or set up on dyno?. He also changed the g/box oil to 30, to try and assist, but its not and now the bottom stud is leaking oil, where the exhaust ( SSC Taff copy) bracket goes on the casing.
Its a Jet with spanish casings etc.
Got the scooter back and the clutch doesn't slip but will drag in 1st gear and is very hard to adjust. The gearchange is almost impossible and has to be forced into second, 3rd etc. Same coming down the box, very stiff. I've tried adjusting clutch myself and its doing my head in.
Anyone any ideas or solutions, I'm not happy, although if I get it out on the road the gearchange becomes slightly easier when warmed up.

Anyone??????
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've fitted one but the engine hasn't been used yet so can't comment on it's operation. What I did notice was that the fit and finish of the road is poor compared to the race version. Road being Indian and Race being Italian. With the Italian out of the engine the cassette slots in and out very smoothly, not so on the Indian but I suppose that's why there's £200 price difference. I spent about an hour with needle files "fettling" my Indian so that the cassette went in and out a lot better though it still wasn't as smooth as the Italian Surflex version. Worth taking it out and taking all the rough edges off.
Mag
Main scooter: Carbon GP TS1

got a road clutch in my 28hp Ts. Spent a very little amount of time checking it before fitting, finish wasn't too clever but operation seemed fine.

I'm running ST90 oil and have had no issues at all, including working very hard during the coast to coast.
Rally220

Thanks for replies fellas.
Just got of the phone from Ben at AF, he phoned me within 5 minutes of me emailing them over issues. Very impressed and he went into detail over how it should be fitted. So it sounds like a fitting issue rather than parts fault. Its going back to the garage tomorrow to have them sort it, they fitted it. Good job I've got my Rally for Whitby!
Cheers
davet

I got one two years ago, it went in an avanti and then a ts1. The crown wheel needed finishing as there were still poor casting blobs (and that was the expensive one!). It has always been good and will handle more than the 21hp the ts1 makes. Lever feel is pretty light. ItS done Euros and c2c without a hiccup.

The only downside is that it lacks feel. It is either on or off. You learn pretty quick that a red light drag race can make you look a wheelie god or complete knob. I heard the same grumbles from some sprinters at Elvington.
Rally220

Well I got a reply from the dealer who fitted it. He has 'knobbed' me off saying I requested it be fitted so take it up with AF, this is despite the fact he fitted a shite SSC clutch that slipped like a barstard from the off, even when he fitted the extra springs and made the lever action so severe you had to be Arnie to work it.
Even then it slipped.

Even after speaking to Ben at AF, i've lost faith in it, ordered an LTH 7 plate one, after pricing up alternatives, eg MB etc , not much difference. So I'm polishing the spanners and reading Stckys book.
Its nice to see nothing changes in the scooter world, makes me wonder why I packed in superbikes?????
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

im sure u will be able to sell it no problem, I've had both versions of the af clutch. My friend has both as well I have used the indian sprocket with the surflex casette assembley no problem, I use the full surflex clutch currently but change the sprocket to the indian 46 for changing gearing. In fact If u have the 46 tooth sprocket version Ill take it off u, just for a spare
Rally220

Mate its literally done about 30 miles, you can have it, make me an offer and its yours, soon as I get the LTH one its coming out. Although I won't be using scoot between then, got my Rally 220 as back up.
Although I'm getting the impression I'll need to check a LOT of stuff once I've opened up the cases, gearbox shimming etc!

Its really beginning to grate though that anything you buy for your scoot needs modifying to fit,PROPERLY, requiring an engineering degree to do it. WTF. No wonder dealers are cleaning up.
bazza3004

I realise this a old post but I totally agree with you regarding no matter how much parts cost they rarely fit without 'fettleing' first. I don't know of any other bike / car enthusiasts that would / have to put up with this. Trouble is and no doubt the cause is we expect it and seem to put up with it. More fool us eh !!
Andoni
Main scooter: SX-200 Eibar

I had a problem with my surflex... not the same clutch, but the rooth cause can be the same since you told something about oil leak just in that zone :
Did you checked whether the clutch's last plate is touching the kick start shaft?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information