Best rear hub studs......

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

...views gentlemen?
Yanker

No complaints regarding the MB ones. Same black finish as their drive sprocket bolt and I believe UK made. :-)
Jxmiddle

I went for the most expensive ones I could find....MB specials. There are some things its worth spending money on I guess.
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

Now't wrong with the SIL one's.

Take time replacing them, is probably the best advice when it comes to rear hub studs.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Just don't use stainless steel nuts on them. Nut is harder than the stud so the stud will wear first.
Jxmiddle

Now there's good advice Corrado. The expensive MB ones are made from 'high tensile steel' so presumably I only have to be the normal amount of care in doing them up?
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Stupid question,why would you want to change them ?
Jxmiddle

I've had two 'go' which I can only put down to over enthusiastic tightening of the wheel nuts though it seems strange to have two go in quick succession. I did have the hub sprayed recently and there was some paint on the studs though I hardly think that explains it. In both cases the wheel nuts won't tighten and keeps turning and then won't come of either (which is interesting). Second one happened at the roadside when I was replacing a flat which we a bit worrying have five miles to ride with only three nuts tight. Enough to make me replace the lot.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Toot-oasc wrote:Now't wrong with the SIL one's.

Take time replacing them, is probably the best advice when it comes to rear hub studs.
I'll second that !
steveg

Jxmiddle wrote:I've had two 'go' which I can only put down to over enthusiastic tightening of the wheel nuts though it seems strange to have two go in quick succession. I did have the hub sprayed recently and there was some paint on the studs though I hardly think that explains it. In both cases the wheel nuts won't tighten and keeps turning and then won't come of either (which is interesting). Second one happened at the roadside when I was replacing a flat which we a bit worrying have five miles to ride with only three nuts tight. Enough to make me replace the lot.
Tightening the nut with any paint on the thread can snap the stud. After painting the paint can sink under the nut after a little while. This will cause the wheel to come loose which can result in snapped studs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information