Wassel Failure

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

In my long frustrating search for a problem with my Lambretta, I was wondering if a Wassel failure was the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of one failing on a Lambretta before I jumble with the wiring later?
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

If its stopping the bike from running NO
If your lights are not working check the switches and your wiring.
Bilko

Lights work Colin. Good spark as usual. Started yesterday for the first time in months. Started it 4 times then it died again. As usual. It's trying to start with intermittent firing.

I've swapped everything. CDI, flywheel, ignition, bypassed the Agusto. Changed carbs, even put the muggy 225 on.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

If you took the Wassel off altogether disconnecting the 2 yellows and the brown feed wire to your lights, the bike should still run as normal. The wassel is lights only. The extra wire soldered to the lighting coils on the stator are not connected to the ignition coils or pickup.
They can be bloody frustrating I know, disconnect the green from the CDI going to the loom and kill switch and it should run. You then have only stator, CDI and HT lead, cap to worry about. You wont be able to stop it other than fuel off or stalling it so take care
Bilko

Thanks.

Out this morning trying again. Fired up, then wouldn't rev. Spluttered and died. Nothing now except the odd sound of intermittent firing.

Swapped lead, plug and cap.
Bilko's Oily Blog

sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Have you tried another stator? It sounds like the pick up to me.
Bilko

Yes two others. They've all been tested as well.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

What engine spec are you working on? I have recently worked on a Lammie with similar issues, we changed everything and each time it would start run stop then refuse to start for a considerable period of time. In the end we stripped the top end down (Ally kit with Steel liner) measured the bore and piston and found 25thou difference, measured the ring gap and i could fit a whole pack of feeler gauges in there. turns out the bore had worn out very quickly (engine only done 2k max). To test this I fitted a tuned cast 150 barrel and it fired up straight away and has been on there for 4 months with no problems. This is the second one I have found in 4 months with this problem, both fitted with Ally kits with steel liners both have worn bores.

It may be worth checking, probably not what you were expecting to hear. Let us know what you find.
Bilko

Forgot. New rings gapped and fitted.

Thanks for the replies
Bilko's Oily Blog

eden
Dealer

have a look if you have any shards of swarf sitting across the pickups on the flywheel!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information