blue bearing

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

In order to fit the inner race of the mag side bearing to my crank I heated it with a heat gun.

After I fitted it (with consumate ease), I noticed that I had "blued" it with the heat.

My question is; is my inner race f@@ked?

I hope not as I can't be arsed to replace it, especially on a brand new crank in case I damage the crank in the process. Equally I don't want to build a brand new engine with a bearing that will fail after 1000 miles.
Yanker

I think that the 'blueing' is not good news because: that is a visual sign that it has over heated. Either it will be warped or the hardening of the surface will be compromised. An adult will....etc
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

You cooked the race, sorry.

Why did you heat it at all? They usually knock right on with the right tool (which is cheaper than a new bearing).
hendy

Bugger. In my heart I knew it was dead, but I was hoping there would be enough people telling me not to be stupid and they all did that.

Anyone got just an unused inner race for sale? Skf only........thought not. Wallet open again.
hendy

Grumpy225 wrote:You cooked the race, sorry.

Why did you heat it at all? They usually knock right on with the right tool (which is cheaper than a new bearing).
Just followed sticky's advice: if you don't have the correct tool etc........
wurzel
Main scooter: TV 175 / JET 200

Sounds like it's buggered marra,inner race should drift on pretty easily and shouldn't need heating
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

If you really need to do something other than drift it on,try freezing the crank
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Freeze the crank, put race in boiling water and they often drop on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
joey

..all may appear well now..after a few thousand miles the track will have spun loose on the crank and knackered it....
warts
Main scooter: honda

If you use the freezer method, a dash of water displacer/oil on the big end bearing will prevent condensation and then rust forming and also knackering the job.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information