PE ignition conversion MB?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

Have seen for sale what looks like an old MB electronic conversion. That means its vespa PE coils on a lammy plate with a vespa flywheel with plastic fins. Firstly im not sure if the boss is for a gp crank or not, but id imagine gp would be more likely? Apparently it has a 21mm inside diameter... The flywheel is in 3 parts, boss, magnets and fins. Is this more hassle than its worth to get it to be secure? And is the stator interchangeable with other flywheels?
Mark on the tech site mentions that the firing marks were out on the flywheel making them hard to set up; apparently some would need new holes drilled in the mag... I dont fancy that.
So anyone out the have any experience? For the money i could have a electronic ignition for cheaper than an ebay special with italian parts!
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

MB and beedspeed used to do these. You sent in your vespa and lambretta flywheels and stators and got back a lightened vespa flywheel on a lambretta boss and modified stator.
Just as reliable as a standard PX ignition set up. The flywheel is very light though and might not help low down torque.
olliewtf

Cheers! Ive got a fresco fitted anyway so might help and can always shorten the gearing. Dyou know if they were all gp or li too? And were they compatible with other flywheels? Ta
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

the stator is just a normal lambretta one so should work with any sil electronic flywheel, always check your timing though!
olliewtf

Cheers mate thats good to hear. Ill try the light flywheel and see how i get on. I take it the boss is meant to be riveted to the magnet and the fan is bolted on? I hear you need wide washers nylocs and loctite? Dont want the feckin thing to fall apart!
olliewtf

Received parts today.
As for still needing advice on the best way to put it together, what also concerns me is that there are no windows in the flywheel. this will make tightening the flywheel very difficult as I cant see how your meant to hold it in place! It will also make lining up the pick up marks difficult. Well, impossible.
Im sure theres a work a round, any ideas??
Also the boss has slight gouges on one side, nothing drastic, and if lapped onto crank I cant see this being a problem... unless people think I should get a new boss?
Ta!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information