Avanti kit seizure

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Yes opened mouth. What you thinking something pulled in via the carb?
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

[img][/i[IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... wo0uuc.jpg[/img]mg]heres a photo of the piston. If you zoom in to the plug it looks a nice colour
coaster

Livi- Graeme wrote:[img][/i[IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... wo0uuc.jpg[/img]mg]heres a photo of the piston. If you zoom in to the plug it looks a nice colour
wich had

There's a lot of blow by the rigs, was it possible to get them out intact? would be interesting to know what the ring gap was. 2000 miles on a set of rings isn't much really even open mouthed byt there was definitely a fair bit of leakage going on which might be why it heat sized :(
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Looks suspiciously like it took in grit ftom the road.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

When a mates TS1 siezed it took the plating off in one chunk about the size of 2p piece. The "pitting" effect seems strange it'll be interesting to see what the experts say.

The six miles from fill up is concerning.....are you 100% you put oil in ?

I'm sure Ron is the first port of call as he'll be as interested as anyone.
CANbus

Hi what kit number is it?
11111111 = 0xFF
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Livi- Graeme wrote:Yes opened mouth. What you thinking something pulled in via the carb?
Doesn't look like anything has been bouncing around in the combustion chamber.

SF
OAP
Dealer

Hi all, thought I would try and give my verdict on what has happened to Graeme's cylinder.

We have had a total of 8 Holed or partially holed pistons which have not actually seized solid even after depositing alloy down the cylinder, obviously through running weak mixture.
Plus one which was using too much oil resulting in carbon build up on the inside of the piston which then blocked the two oil holes in the piston, then went on to wash carbon deposits up and down the cylinder wearing the plating.

This instance however is completely different, there are hundreds & hundreds of scooters running without filters up & down the country without any mishaps, on this occasion Graeme was running without side panels which do actually defect some debris, I can only conclude that something entered the carb and was trapped at the exhaust port gouging the piston. What is interesting is that there are only a few marks on the crown of the piston yet the side of the piston is heavily scored! This is NOT an conventional heat seize.RM
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Whatever the cause, it'll be worth flushing that recently bought fuel out completely just in case.
Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

On our way to Amiens this year one of our group took a large piece of grit in that jammed in a reed petal. He was running open mouthed with panels on and we had just ridden over about 5 miles of regritted road. Fortunately it didn't enter his TS1 cylinder but it held us up for 3 hours in the rain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information