SIP Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Spud

Looking to buy a SIP speedo, but a bit confused by the sensor options on the website.
They list various speed sensors KOSO SA 07, but as far as i can tell the only difference is the length of cable.
But they also list a bracket for KOSO 07 S type 8MM & 10MM & a bracket for KOSO 07 L type.
I don't see any different sensors?
Also different magnets as well!

So advice please, which is best to get to fit on a GP & where is the best place to fit the sensor (front or back wheel)?

cheers Spud :?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Just wack it in and stick the normal cable in...job done....oh and make sure you have a resistor plug...have a look at some previous posts...
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Get the 1350 mm sensor and the 8mm bracket [it just corresponds to the bolt size where you're going to fit it, can't think of any 10mm bolts on a Lammy]. Most are fitting it at the front with hydraulic brake set ups and using one of the 8mm caliper mounting bolts to mount the sensor with the magnet[s] fitted onto the disc. Worth getting the optional fast flow tap with low fuel warning light as the light and connections are already built into the speedo.
PM me for prices.
soulsurfer

What's the crack with these speedos not holding the time of day? Is it an internal battery failing or something else?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
AndyS

I have just fitted one using the 'active sensor' as supplied by sip it is the AS 07 one. My thinking was that it doesn't need a magnet, and it just senses the movement of bolts etc from the wheel as they go past, but I could be wrong because I am struggling to get the speed to read accurately. Any one have any other info on the sensor, as it too could do with knowing ( sorry bit of a thread hijack)
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

AndyS wrote:I have just fitted one using the 'active sensor' as supplied by sip it is the AS 07 one. My thinking was that it doesn't need a magnet, and it just senses the movement of bolts etc from the wheel as they go past, but I could be wrong because I am struggling to get the speed to read accurately. Any one have any other info on the sensor, as it too could do with knowing ( sorry bit of a thread hijack)
Hi Andy, I'm using the the active sensor without a magnet (picking up from the rear wheel studs) and get an accurate speed reading (gps confirmed).
When you say "not accurate" do you mean not stable or just not accurate. Remember that it is very easy to adjust the accuracy by changing the tyre circumference.
Also if you are picking up off more than 1 bolt per revolution of the wheel you have to set this.
AndyS

I was just a bit confused which setting to change , there is tyre circumference, and gear ratio. Which setting would you change when the sensor is seeing multiple bolts .
Thanks
Minority

The instructions with the speedo aren't the best, I can quite understand the confusion!
It's been a while since I set my speedo up but from what I remember the "Adj 2" option lets you choose cable or sensor for the speed input and I think that it was option B for sensor.
When you have chosen external sensor as the speed input I think that the gear ratio option changes so you can enter the number of pulses per revolution of the wheel. In my case I entered 4 as I was picking up the 4 wheel studs on the rear wheel.
Good luck and if you have any more problems maybe give SIP a quick email.
It's definately worth it to end up with a nice accurate speed reading, although the truth maybe disappointing for some.
AndyS

Thanks for that. , I'll gives it a go tomorrow
Minority

The other thing you can check (better if you have battery power to your speedo so you don't have to have the engine running) is that the blue light on the end of the sensor goes on/off as it passes the studs/bolts/nuts/magnets that you intend to pick up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information