End cans, what's the difference ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I had the end can off my Franspeed Race stolen on the Thursday before Shipston. In a panic i chopped the end can off an RS exhaust i had and "jerry-rigged" it on to the Franspeed. It stuck out at an odd angle but got me to Shipston and back no problem. I say no problem, i thought it performed slightly better than the original ? This may have been down to good roads and decent weather but i was very surprised with the performance.

To give Andy Francis some credit (and the LCGB) i ordered a new end can on Thursday at 4.00pm and asked him to send it to Shipston . I arrived at Shipston at 1.30pm on the Friday and it was at the gate waiting. Unfortunately i forgot to order the short stub that goes between the pipe and the can (ordered on Friday was delivered to my house on the Saturday) so i drove back with the RS end can.

My question is thi:s...do end end cans alter the performance ?
Lamaddict

I asked the question myself because I beleive there is a difference in some way with length etc but I've never seen any proof.
ming

I have been told that the packing in the end cans can affect the exhaust back pressure. In that sense I guess they would affect performance.
ArmandTanzarian

ming wrote:I have been told that the packing in the end cans can affect the exhaust back pressure. In that sense I guess they would affect performance.
I found that mine seemed to run and rev a lot smoother after repacking the baffles. Of course it might have just felt smoother because it was a lot quieter.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
jedan71
Xbox live gamer tag: Jedan71

In layman's terms, the answer is no difference, as the reverse bounce back sound wave already completed with the stinger pipe length and diameter controlled the flow rate, the end can just then does sound control. But saying that an ill fitted or over packed end can, could restrict flow., basically it's just does sound.if that makes sense...There are some good books and lots of experience here with the right combinations..
Fruitjuice

jedan71 wrote:In layman's terms, the answer is no difference, as the reverse bounce back sound wave already completed with the stinger pipe length and diameter controlled the flow rate, the end can just then does sound control. But saying that an ill fitted or over packed end can, could restrict flow., basically it's just does sound.if that makes sense...There are some good books and lots of experience here with the right combinations..
Please keep in mind that the internal diameter must be at laest the same diameter or bigger than the end can you took off. Any smaller and it can/will obstruct the flow out of the exhaust and you risk holeing the piston. Use a bigger one and it'll be louder. Some expansions have a 22mm internal diameter end can, some 25 and some up to 26 mm.
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
willwander

Yep.
If the end can internal diameter is smaller than the other one, you will be increasing back pressure.
Depending on the tune, this can make the bike run better, but it will also run hotter and you run the risk of it nipping up.
standing mile: 118.6mph
1/4 mile: 14.04 seconds - 93mph
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information