Cylinder gaskets

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lcs99

Just stripped the head and barrel down twice now to renew blown gasket, put it back together again to hear a terrible noise, it turns out that the new gaskets I have used are thinner. so the piston is hitting the cylinder head, where can I get different thicknesses of gaskets? cheers
coaster

Big or small block? I know Ron Moss does them for big block motors which are also cut for enlarged transfers. I also have a feeling that MB do them. Do you have a digital vernier? if not, buy or borrow one to measure the thickness of the gaskets in there. That way you will know what thickness to order to achieve the correct squish.
lcs99

Colin, small block, I will have to borrow one from somewhere to measure thickness, cheers Lee
e type

Try af rayseed they've got em in all thickness
Yanker

coaster wrote:.Do you have a digital vernier?
I would NOT reccomend splashing out on a cheapo digital vernier: better get a good brand eg Mitutoyo or Mitaka (their digital ones are a bit expensive).

Rayspeed have all the gaskets you will need as Mr. e type said, wait till Tueasday tho as they are closed Mondays.
coaster

Yanker wrote:
coaster wrote:.Do you have a digital vernier?
I would NOT reccomend splashing out on a cheapo digital vernier: better get a good brand eg Mitutoyo or Mitaka (their digital ones are a bit expensive).
I do have a good quality mechanical vernier but even with my glasses on it's nearly impossible to read accurately. I last used it about 20 years ago to measure some Valve shims in a Lotus engine and it didn't read anywhere near fine enough to tell the difference between any of the thicknesses I had. In the end I took the shims to a Lotus engineer who used a digital Micrometer on them. Now I use a cheap digital jobbie from Lidle (£9.99) which I zero before use and check and re-check and re-zero to ensure consistent results. Plenty accurate enough for the majority of the work the average Lambretta owner is going to do I would have thought. Just my opinion ;)
Yanker

Fair enough: But please indulge me by elaborating a little further on the 'calibrating' technique for a Lidl vernier if you could be so kind? Just countering my experience based scepticism about their depandability. I need a magnifying glass to read a trad vernier too my friend! Mmm Lotus Elan perhaps?
coaster

Yanker wrote:Fair enough: But please indulge me by elaborating a little further on the 'calibrating' technique for a Lidl vernier if you could be so kind? Just countering my experience based scepticism about their depandability. I need a magnifying glass to read a trad vernier too my friend! Mmm Lotus Elan perhaps?
Well the Lidl verniers don't come with any certificates of conformity or calibration but if I wanted to be assured of their accuracy I would just check against a set of good quality feeler gauges.

It wasn't an Elan, it was a 1980's Elite...same shims though I believe and just as problematic 8-)
Yanker

coaster wrote:
Yanker wrote: if I wanted to be assured of their accuracy I would just check against a set of good quality feeler gauges.
Yes all well and good, but then you extend them and........happens.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information