Avanti headcowl on TS1

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Cereal GY
Main scooter: GP200

Anybody else having issues getting them lined up properly?

I can get 1 and at a push 2 head bolts set up, but a massive gap between the cowl and mag housing. I've fitted a packer from Darrell Taylor which has help lose any stray cooling, but still not ideal.
OAP
Dealer

Need a bit more information, what crankshaft set up have you got?

If you are running a standard 58mm stroke 107 rod you should be able to get all three cowl bolts on and should fit flush to the mag housing assuming you have a SIl or Innocenti Mag housing.
Are you using 4 x long standard head nuts? RM
Cereal GY

Hi Ron, yes...
standard stroke crank. I could get 3 bolt in but the cowl was massively twisted away from the housing. It didn't fit my original standard SIL housing, and I have just swapped that for a new one with no better results. At present, I have 4 long head nuts fitted, but only 1 cowl bolt lined up. The housing alignment is "somewhat" near, but not close enough to bolt through to the mag housing as well. I'll tr4y and get some pics up tomorrow if that'll help explain any better. I did have to fettle some of the fibreglass away to fit the reed valve and exhaust OK, but neither of these are touching or skewing the cowl at present.
joespeed

are the head bolts too long?
OAP
Dealer

Is the head machined like the ones on ebay at the moment?
Cereal GY

The head was supplied by yourself, via Chiggy. I'll try shorter bolts tomorrow
coaster

I have an Avanti head on a TS1, 58mm stroke with 110mm rod and 2.5mm packer. The 3 bolts lined up without any bother but understandably there was a 2.5mm gap at the mag flange. I just applied some Isopon P38 (grp reinforced filler) to the mating surface (head cowl) and filed it flat and then trimmed up with a dremel..perfect fit 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information