End Can Theory

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

I've just put a longer and fatter End Can/Pipe onto my exhaust. I know there's more to them than muffling noise but what are the other aspects?
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I'd have to look it up but basically you've lengthened the over all tuned length of your pipe. Now what that will do to how it performs my not be noticeable unless its on a dyno. I'm sure it's covered in Jennings somewhere, it's been a long time since I messed with expansion chamber theory.

At some point a grownup will be along to explain it better.
jedan71
Xbox live gamer tag: Jedan71

The end muffler can only affects sound, as the exhaust gas theory has already been done at the end of the stinger pipe, as grumpy says that book good also bells 2 stroke performance is going reading material....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

as far as Im aware and remember from my 2 stroke messing with expansion days, the performance aspect of the pipe finishes at the end of the stinger, the silencer literally does just that, so long as the hole through the silencer is larger than the bore of the stinger then your ok

I have read that you can get differences between an empty silencer or a tightly packed one but unsure as to how true or just how much effect that has
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Few years ago,tried a pm end can on my Micron pipe which is about 3" shorter than the std. Micron end can and noticed a difference in performance. It certainly had more power on tap.
Lamaddict

So they have an effect. I thought a longer end can made them run cooler but I may have dreamt it.
mawso

Put a PM endcan up against my Micron today and the holes on the pipe flange(?) / fixing plate don't match. Did you have to cut and weld a new plate on or do anything so it fitted? Still got the anchor weight endcan that came with it and wondering if it can be cut open and gutted to reduce weight.

Soosh you sent me a link on an endcan before, but it's gone now. Do you have details still and are they a straight fit? My Micron has the kinked tailpipe and dent to clear runner boards.
Jazzy

Sterling end can is a straight fit on a micron.
But the internal diamiter is a bit smaller.
.my micron was a mechanical baffled type, sounds Same as yours
Pm me your mobile number and I'll send you a pic.
mawso

Jazzy...yeah mine is the mech' muffler too. Shame it's so b'stard heavy as the support brackets are cast or welded onto the can itself. Did you wrap a collar around your end can then to support it or not?

Will PM you contact details anyway thanks : )
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

I just elongated the holes slightly to make it fit. I can't remember the tailpipe details from the one I got off evilbay but search something like RS125 tailpipe. Thing the internal diameter was 25mm. Will check as you don't want to go smaller.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information