Newfren Clutch Plates

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mac

Anyone had any problems with Newfren clutch plates?

Had one at the weekend only done a few miles and it started to drag badly, tried adjusting the cable still the same, striped it down and the plates are burnt, checked the clearance and it's just over 1mm, when built it was just under 2mm. Plates were soaked for about a week (maybe longer), everything moving smoothly, 2 mm clearance at the lever.

Then tonight on a mates GP that's just been rebuilt, only been rode up a track a few time just to check gears, clutch etc, all of a sudden clutch starts to drag badly :?

Both using Newfren plates, I've used loads of sets of both standard and 5 plate without problem
mac

Nobody else using them or had probs?

Soaked a new set for 36 hours fitted them 1.8 clearance between the plates, 2mm at the lever, tested fine when cold outside the workshop,
mates picks it up all fine after a bit of a run starts to drag again, he tried adjusting the cable almost to the point of not being able to kick it over, still drags backs off cable still drags, leaves for a hour or so and it's fine.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Are the steels all flat? How thick?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
mac

All steels used were flat, went through a few to get perfect ones, a fraction over 18mm can't remember exactly off the top of my head (brains not what it used to be) :oops:
There was plenty of clearance, MB springs same as I always use, I've used less clearance before on other clutches without problem, everything checked without the springs to make sure there was nothing catching.

That's whats making me think it's something to do with the corks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information