alpine tour

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dave wheeler

two questions relating to an alpine tour this summer, first how much effect does the altitude have on the jetting and second any advice on coming down passes, i was in the alps in my camper and got a real fright burning out the brakes so i had to use heavy engine braking, but i dont see how thats an option for any distance with a lambretta without running into overheating problems, advice please
eden
Dealer

While crossing the Pyrenees last year the altitude and warm weather resulted in my bike running as rich as f@@k, I did down jet a few times but in the end I just changed my ridding style to account for the changing conditions.
Coming down is a worry when engine braking because the engine tends to be revving its tits off on no throttle, I just kept blipping the throttle from time to time, clutching in and using just brakes for a few seconds now and then and being lucky there was nothing coming the other way when over shooting some bends.

Its great fun though, you will love it.

Watch a few of the videos from our trip last year.
this shows how going up it gets richer and richer, listen to the engine!

and this doesn't look steep coming down on video but it was and it was down hill for miles, the speed warning signs are in kpm, so the 20 signs are 12mph lol
we start going down at about 3 mins in to the video, im in 2nd gear most of the time and off the throttle.
coaster

I think you will find there are plenty of places for a scooter to pull over and let things cool down if it becomes a problem.
SpanishSX200

Dave,

We do a lot of high altitude riding here. You can make adjustments to the airscrew, in or out depending on which carb, you will find that it's more difficult if you are using an air filter, there just isn't enough air. Open mouth, I find that up to 1400 meters, the airscrew works, not perfect, but works. Re adjust before the descent. As Eden says, engine braking, brakes and blip the throttle.

Simon
ArmandTanzarian

I didn't have any trouble until we went through the tunnel from France to Italy. Unbelievably hot, full of diesel fumes, no oxygen for me or the scoot and it would only run in third gear. Horrible!
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
dave wheeler

thanks for that guys, have absolutely zero desire to go in those tunnels, your there for the scenery FFS! its a pretty standard tv175, i wont need to take spare jets will I?
Yanker

My experience over 1/2 a dozen passes to the Austrian Euro 2005 the re-jetting issue was only a major problem on the highest one: the Grossglockner 2460 metres. I gotta add that this was set as a 'challenge' pass not essential for getting from A to B.

The snow had only just melted enough for the pass to be open on the way back (was planned for the way in but was closed). As a consequence we rode through thick cloud and/or fog > heavy moisture = less oxygen + the altidude thin air. My Suzuki 180 with PWK carb suffered more than the more suitable touring engines of the 3 man group (TS1 with Mikuni 35 + S4 with PHBH). Made it over with needle and main adjustments hampering progress an my bike being the 'donkey' 4stroking all over the higher part.

For the descents: Just stuck it in neutral and glided down the majority, sticking it in an appropriate gear and 'bumping' the engine if the incline t levelled off too much: no loss of pace, saved fuel and strangely 'pleasant' without all the racket for a while ;)

Eden: What is with the old Anglian TV. I.S.C. logo?
ArmandTanzarian

When are you going? We were going over the top but even in June the passes were snowed up.
Last edited by ArmandTanzarian on Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
eden
Dealer

Yanker wrote:
Eden: What is with the old Anglian TV. I.S.C. logo?
its Associated Television not Anglian :roll:
Subsequent to the changes made by the ITA to the regional structure of the Independent Television service, ATV was awarded the franchise to provide a seven day Independent Television service for the Midlands region which started on Tuesday, July 30, 1968 and was finally extended until 00:34h on Friday, January 1, 1982.

I S C is Indecipherables Scooter Collective = a collection of Scooterists from the midlands who have known each other and rode together for many years who all talk a bit funny.

"if we have to explain it....... you wouldn't understand us"

Sticky coined the phrase a few years ago in a scootering cobblesoul article and since then we have embraced it :D 8-)
Yanker

Aww roit aw roit new rr eyden.

oi woz obliviousleyyy pointeyd mi awiel in the wong dyrection teya.

Yawa cloob iz oveeeyousley jinormoos. Wen ij cun cobuw a skoota toogeva i wud loik tew meat yewws lot.

Newtice ow munny scwerz arr err? Cuddna fulwlt that lewgew forrit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgvHBsMdBk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information