Whose at fault ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Decided to change my Varitronic and go static. Bought a BGM V3 stator (AC DC) and a new mid-weight AF flywheel. Sure enough the stator holes will have to be filed to get 17 degrees. Why !!! Is the stator set wrong or the pick up on the flywheel ?? I fitted a BGM stator on a new SIL engine and didn't have a problem so is it the flywheel Key-way wrong, ? either way a bit miffed as it's another new product that has to be fettled to fit.
mr series 2
Main scooter: LI 150 Ser 2

I had the same problem on Saturday with a new Elmec flywheel had to Dremel the slots another 5 mil to get 17Btdc pick up position is totally different to my old Sil flywheel is your AF one made by Elmec
Last edited by mr series 2 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

I fitted bgm stator and just managed the 15 degrees i wanted. I would guess that the problem lies with your flywheel as the bgm stuff is damn good quality in my experience
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

Whose at fault for the spelling :o

I always have to file BGM stator lugs :cry:
mick1

:oops: Got me on the spelling :oops: but why do you always have to file the BGM stators ? surely BGM must be getting feedback that the majority of their stators have to be modified to fit.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I've had no problems with 2 bgm stators at all.

However, the ^ marking on my Elemec flywheel were miles out. That said, having made my own markings, the flywheels been good for several thousand miles and 2 or 3 years.

I too suspect your flywheel was the problem.
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

I've had 2 BGM stators with 2 different flywheels and had no problems with setting the timing I wanted.
Slow is the new fast!
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Just out of interest,why did you change the Varitronic?
mick1

I've had the Varitronic on the Avanti for over 2 years and not had a problem. Saying that i did have a faulty spark plug (breaking down in the mid-rev range ?) at the time i suspected it was the Varitronic but as the parts (flywheel, stator) are not inter-changeable with "standard" parts i could not swap and check. this got me thinking that if on a long distance rally, if my Varitronic did go t*ts up where would i get a spare ?? With this niggling doubt in my mind i've decided to go static and carry a spare stator, knowing the flywheel and other bits would be relatively easily available if push came to shove.

I suppose i could buy a spare Varitronic stator but buying a spare flywheel is pushing it.

I may fit an advance/retard unit if problems with low down-mid range running, but would like a "simple" one. M-tech has too many settings, looking at the Reedspeed one at the moment.
Angry Bloke

I've always had to extend the slots on indian or BGM stators in order to set the timimg at 17deg.

I recently fitted a new BGM flywheel but still had to extend the slots on a new BGM DC stator to get 17 - I checked keyway position against other flywheels and it was in the same position :roll:

I wonder if BGM assume we are all using retard units these days and therefore setting timing at 24ish thus avoiding the need to slot :idea: ................Or was it too expensive to change the slots in the mold :D
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information