just wondered

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bazza3004

Whilst reading though various topics on here and the lcgb ive seen a few posts were folk have used the likes of jb weld to beef the casing up round the transfers. What ive always wondered is how do these people make sure the added material is flat and matches the casing gasket face (other than having it machined flat of course). Anybody enlighten me on this ???
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

JB Weld is an excellent product which is petrol resistant and can be drilled and tapped, but I wouldn't use in on any area where it would be stressed, ie, cylinder head studs, etc. but OK for something like mag cable dodgy threads (which I've used). It can be filed/sanded/machined easily.personally I might use it for building up dodgy porous casings around transfer areas as a filler, but would only rely on good ally welding around transfer areas, if for enlarged porting.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
bazza3004

Cheers dapper. My thinking was you would surely need to have it machined flat to match gasket face and if your doing that you might aswell have it alley welded instead.
coaster

bazza3004 wrote:Whilst reading though various topics on here and the lcgb ive seen a few posts were folk have used the likes of jb weld to beef the casing up round the transfers. What ive always wondered is how do these people make sure the added material is flat and matches the casing gasket face (other than having it machined flat of course). Anybody enlighten me on this ???
I'd carefully dress it down with a file until nearly flush and then finish off with a fine...ish production paper (400-600) glued to a piece of 2"-3" x 6"-8" flat bar (MDF would do as would anything flat). Try not to remove any of the surrounding metal in the process but if you are careful I recon it would be flat enough. Use a good silicone sealant. I've not tried it for this purpose but can see no reason why it wouldn't work. I once broke through the wall of a barrel I was grinding a new finger port into :o I used JB weld to glue a small piece of ally over the hole and never had any trouble with it, it took me two up to Kilarney and back (1000 miles plus) and was still in place a few hundred miles later (sorry Mark, I don't think I mentioned that ;) )
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

warts
Main scooter: honda

I used Bellzona, which is a similar but industrially biased product, to reduce the diameter of some inlet tracts after some numpty had grossly over enlarged them. Been in for years now.
As stated, once gone off, you can shape and work easily. Machining, drilling, tapping - all straight forwards.
Angry Bloke

coaster wrote:, it took me two up to Kilarney and back (1000 miles plus) and was still in place a few hundred miles later (sorry Mark, I don't think I mentioned that ;) )
PMSL :lol: :lol:
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
bazza3004

Intresting replies fellas . Many thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information