tyres ! what are your recommendations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bifter
Main scooter: vespa p210

City grips excellent in cold wet /damp weather ,got a proper tread like more modern bike tyres but just remember that front and back run opposite ways and they usually need a good haircut before use
SuspectDevice

Just fitted the new Dunlop Scootsmart tyres to my TS1 after looking around for quite a wile to find a "raceman" replacement, so far they are great in the wet/damp/dry. These are derived from their superbike tyres and have a silica compound for added grip/performance in the we ;) t
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

byron wrote:Conti Race are just that. soft and very little tread...

Conti Twist Road are good tyres, last ok, and grip in all conditions
I used Schwalbe Racemans until all those scary photos
I'd say the Contis are better, but possibly some auto-suggestion there...

Yokahamas are good, just shame they don't have the right E mark for use in the UK...
I'm determined not to ride the scoot iun rain if I can help it but I suppose I'll get caught out some day . if I don't need wet weather performance would it matter using a tyre with less tread ? I thought the balder the tyre the more grip in the dry ....well right up to the point when they suddenly don'tgrip lol :o :o :o
Rally220
Main scooter: Lambretta S2 TS1 240

Dunlop Scootsmart fitted to my Rally220, very good, got Sava MC20's on my TS1 and again very good tyres. Got rid of those death trap Scwalbes after they developed a large bulge on rear tyre......
johnny LIS150

ok thank you to everyone that replied . There is some very good information here which hopefully will get added to in time and provide an up to date source of tyre advice and recommendations.

I've decided on balance to go with the Sava MC18 .

The MC20 is a good tyre but looks to be more suited to wet and winter conditions for all year round riding which I will definitely not be doing. !

They are a good price and should last a couple of years or so given that I'm only likely to do 500ish miles a year in dry conditions.
When they are part worn I'll renew them to maintain optimum grip and sell the part worns on ebay to recoup some of the cost.
johnny
coaster

I bought a Conti Twist Sport for the rear of my Avanti when the Raceman (early batch) wore out and can honestly say it performs every bit as well. Rode it on last years C2C up and over the Hardnott Pass, gravel strewn and wet lanes and torrential rain on the motorway, never came close to slipping. I've got a Sava MC20 on the front which also grips very well but to me, the side walls seem too floppy, they only have a low load rating so are only 2 ply. I'm happy for that on the front but worry about the side walls holding up in the event of a deflation if used on the rear.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Coaster raises another important issue there, that of weight loading. We seem more preoccupied by speed rating than weight rating. The clamour for 93 mph rated tyres is disproportionate with the number of scooters that can actually do 93 mph. Whereas 2 up with luggage and under-inflated tyres looks like the norm with tyres that don't have high enough weight load ratings, and even the highest ones must be overloaded half the time.
I've not heard of any Dunlop TT racing tyres failing [62mph rated] used by the vast majority of BSSO racers in recent years many of which are capable of 100mph but then they're never close to the weight load max.
johnny LIS150

good point coaster and thanks for the feedback.

I suppose that I should have mentioned that I weigh 17 stone ! :roll: :o :lol:
nuttyboy
Main scooter: lambretta

Sip performers

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Muttley McLadd

I've changed my mind, re: the Savas. This is my back one after only about 1200 miles. It's probably still legal, but it's not far off dead.

CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information