fitting a fuel tap

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

Ok your first dumb question of the day and your starter for 10 , no conferring. ;)

how do you fit a replacement fuel tap ? Waiting for my sticky to arrive so no manual at present.

The existing fuel tap on my LIS150 is fubar and leaking all over the place. I saw a high flow tap on ebay and though Mmmmmm just the job ! ;)
Do you wind the tap into the nut first then wind the whole tap onto the tank spigot or do you fit the nut on the tank first then wind the tap into the nut ?

What if the tap doesn't line up correctly do you stick some ptfe on the spigot ? I thought I'd ask first in case there are some tips that would make the job easier. I read on one thread its a good idea to cut the filter down so that the reserve doesn't start too early.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

there is a reverse thread on one side of the nut.

With the nut at the top of the tap thread and the bottom of the tank thread (i.e. just catching the threads on both items and NOT wound down or up) start turning the nut so it bites equally on both threads.

Hold the tap in the approx position to enable it to operate, and tighten the nut on both threads- don't overtighten.

Don't use PTFE tape as the fuel will disolve it anyway...

High flow taps can sometimes have clearance problems.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

thanks Chris ;) I'll give it a go later.
can't be worse that the previous owners efforts. When his split pin broke he turned the tap to face out took the panel off and used his fingers to operate the tap :roll: :shock:
lcs99

Make sure that it is a good quality tap because I bought one off ebay and did not check my FAST FLOW for fuel per minute, it was blocked, so buy one from a good scooter shop not a back street remake !! I found it easier to take the tank off clean it out and put the tap on semi tight then put it in place and resit the tank then adjust.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information