Which Electronic Ignition Kit

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Cav
Main scooter: SX 225

hendy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am The quality of manufacturing really isn't up to the mark.

However, I can never understand why so few lambretta owners use a full DC system.

The real Achilles heal in the traditional arrangement is the low tension coil; going full DC does away with this. The second issue is AC regulation which is hard to control and is the reason for blown bulbs.

Going full DC is very easy, especially if done as part of a full rebuild. Parts are available from a huge number of alternative vehicles and manufacturers so even if you're still unable to face the idea of spares unavailability on long rides, you don't have to carry them as you can just find any old motorcycle dealer for them.
I was really interested in this view expressed by Hendy, I came across this snippet

https://scooterlab.uk/convert-your-ac-i ... -workshop/

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Warkton Tornado No.1
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Cav wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:44 pm
hendy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am The quality of manufacturing really isn't up to the mark.

However, I can never understand why so few lambretta owners use a full DC system.

The real Achilles heal in the traditional arrangement is the low tension coil; going full DC does away with this. The second issue is AC regulation which is hard to control and is the reason for blown bulbs.

Going full DC is very easy, especially if done as part of a full rebuild. Parts are available from a huge number of alternative vehicles and manufacturers so even if you're still unable to face the idea of spares unavailability on long rides, you don't have to carry them as you can just find any old motorcycle dealer for them.
I was really interested in this view expressed by Hendy, I came across this snippet

https://scooterlab.uk/convert-your-ac-i ... -workshop/

Anyone have thoughts on this?
A mate of mine fitted an old 6v (points) stator modified with one of the cheap Chinese rectifiers.

The result was amazing lights along with the reliability of points (I do keep on, don't I?) for a few quid.

He gave me an identical rectifier which I have modified to fit inside a gutted OEM 'box, but yet to try, as I currently have positive earth via a zenner, which works & looks as the original UK conversions.

The OEM rectifier has a steel plate which I will be replacing with a copy alloy plate for the heat shedding capability, as the Chinese rectifier has been reduced in size to fit, so now has less surface area.

For the sake of any 12v battery being fitted anywhere, not necessarily in the tray, I cannot see why anybody would exclude one. Maintenance free, sealed batteries will do the job of providing light with no engine & might just save your life.

I'm amazed that Insurance companies haven't picked up on that, as to exclude a battery as fitted OEM should be declared. Or that would be their excuse.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information