Getting the rear wheel rim and tyre on a series 1!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wax

I have just had a 'Basil Faulty' moment it the shed. You know, the one where he beats the car with a branch because it won't start?

Mine was getting the rear wheel rim and tyre back on and the 'branch' was a rubber mallet, luckily, or it could have been messy.

I have had a couple of series 2's and always struggled to get the wheel and tyre on, because of the side panel brackets, but this was something else! I ended up grinding the side panel brackets, as much as I dare, Taking that annoying screw from the fan shroud off, removing the runner board and eventually, letting the fooking tyre down and hitting it with a rubber hammer!

The air was blue :oops:

I carry a spare tube and a mini bike pump when out and about, but I don't fancy doing this at the side of the road. Is there an easier way, or am I just being thick? And I don't fancy carrying a rubber hammer as well as everything else too!
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Lambrettatastic

you can modify the side panel bracket by cutting it in half and making a detachable plate to join it back together.i am sure there are pictures on here somewhere showing the mod.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

What tyres are you running. Its always bad on fat tyres like Weathermans. Air out and pump up when on, I tried the CO2 type units but it still needed topping up, it would get me to a garage though when on the road
wax

It's a Dunlop TT91. Hardly a winter tyre. I am going to get some of those winter tyres, me thinks, when I have a few spare quid.

Could anyone post a link to that side panel bracket modification please?
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Jeff T
Main scooter: GP150 & LI150 S2

I'm just rebuilding a S2 italian import and the back lug of the side panel bracket has been cut in half, at first I thought it was just damaged but when I put the back wheel on it made sense. I've had the side panel on and can't see it making any difference apart from making sure the lock engages properly when you refit the side panel. Anyone else seen this bodge?
joespeed

its not a bodge its been 'soooped up' so that it makes wheel/tyre changing easier .
search for this i'm sure there wes a picture of this mod.
Yanker

Pain In the Ass that this semi that the Milan company managed to put into production.. In the luxurious surroundings of my 4 walled and roofed garage I prefer "simple" hub removal. On the road this is even less use for onward travel as the other 'semi' described by 'Monty' as you would have to re-tourque the hub nut to your satisfacton.

Don't wanna trim the panel clip (bad memories of newly painted panels departing).

I''m fitting tubeless, crossing fingers, carrying tubeless repair kit`

Alternative was hub puller, allen key, short 27mm spanner in the toolbox and the hope of a handy brick to clout the spanner and a garage willing to lend a propper wrench just down the road: Sainsburys extra? (How they managed in the bad 'ol days - feck knows?)

Gonna try search the bracket mod too! Pics welcome :-)

OK 'Sooping-Up' Then :-)
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Yanker wrote:Pain In the Ass that this semi that the Milan company managed to put into production.. In the luxurious surroundings of my 4 walled and roofed garage I prefer "simple" hub removal. On the road this is even less use for onward travel as the other 'semi' described by 'Monty' as you would have to re-tourque the hub nut to your satisfacton.

Don't wanna trim the panel clip (bad memories of newly painted panels departing).

I''m fitting tubeless, crossing fingers, carrying tubeless repair kit`

Alternative was hub puller, allen key, short 27mm spanner in the toolbox and the hope of a handy brick to clout the spanner and a garage willing to lend a propper wrench just down the road: Sainsburys extra? (How they managed in the bad 'ol days - feck knows?)

Gonna try search the bracket mod too! Pics welcome :-)

OK 'Sooping-Up' Then :-)
At my age a semi is fine :mrgreen:
wax

Ok, time to fire up the angle grinder :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information