Crankshafts

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

speedy wrote:,else folk wouldn't keep converting to the 110mm rod.
I think the main benefit is that the 110 rod and the use of different thickness base packers allows you to play around with port timings. A common touring tune upgrade on a TS1 barrel is to remove material from the base of the barrel but that's beyond the scope of most home tuners so fitting a 110 rod with a 2.5mm base packer is the equivalent of taking 0.5mm off the barrel base.
A top quality Yamaha 110 rod with quality bearing is around £40 to £50 so a big saving on the exotica cranks on offer.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

nelson pk wrote:
speedy wrote:Regards the Evergreen cranks,weren't they the ones that had trouble with the weights falling out?..
The ultimate cranks that Cam lamb sell are balanced and aligned by a very experienced tuner. Dont think you'll have any issues ;)
That's thrown me then. So which crank was it that came out about 3 or 4 year ago that had the issue of the balancing weights coming loose and or coming out?
doggbhoy

speedy wrote:
nelson pk wrote:
speedy wrote:Regards the Evergreen cranks,weren't they the ones that had trouble with the weights falling out?..
The ultimate cranks that Cam lamb sell are balanced and aligned by a very experienced tuner. Dont think you'll have any issues ;)
That's thrown me then. So which crank was it that came out about 3 or 4 year ago that had the issue of the balancing weights coming loose and or coming out?
it was probably about seven years ago and it was cam lams ultimate full circle Italian made cranks with standard length con rod....the weights came loose on mine...
gabba gabba hey gabba we accept you one of us
Hotdog

Do they still suffer from this problem, or has this now been resolved with cam lams ultimate ? also were there any problems with the bgm crankshafts with standard 107mm length conrods ?
speedy

Hotdog wrote:Do they still suffer from this problem, or has this now been resolved with cam lams ultimate ? also were there any problems with the bgm crankshafts with standard 107mm length conrods ?
Ta for that mi duck. Bloody hell....SEVEN years ago, time really does fly and that's scary. :o
speedy

Hot dog,just a quick question, with you looking at cranks on the top end of the price bracket,what engine is it going in,regards kit and power etc? Cheers,Speedy.
Hotdog

Not sure on what top end yet, just looking to buy a high end 58/107 or 110 crank, so if i ever decide on which one to purchase, i know it will be totally overkill for my engine and a Mec or Sil with jap conrods would be more than adequate, so i suppose at the end of the day it's one of those things i must have.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

Ultimate crank has to be MEC webs with RB type conrod/bearing. These webs are appreciably tighter than indian ones (my second choice when fitted with the same conrod and bearing), the Evergreen item is crap!!!!! I've had one lose its weights and carve up the mag flange and another go the other way and cut the con rod. The BGM appears to be a MEC with 110 con rod, very useful to tame a TS1 by using a 1.5mm spacer to lower the barrel by 1.5mm. (1mm to make up for the increased deck height on an Indian casing and 0.5mm to tame the over zealous timings). I know of people running MBD supercranks which double as a vibro massager due to the out of balance.
nelson pk

The ultimate crank is what is used and specified in the super Monza (the 116mm rodded version) and there have been no failures on the ultimate crank that I have heard of in any super monza. As far as I am aware each one is NOW (don't know about 4 or 7 years ago..... as I didn't buy one then) checked over, balanced and aligned by a very well respected tuner and I suspect its different to the older tino ones that had dropping weights :o
I know that the tuner they use wouldn't deal with rubbish and would soon reject anything that he thought wasn't up to par.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Agree with nelson....the new 'Ultimate' crank from CamLam is a very different crank from the Evergreen/Tino ones of years ago.

Disagree with Special X that the best/ultimate crank would be a MEC crank with RB rod. I'd rate the webs as cheap/good options, but would prefer various 110/115/120 rod options over the RB rod option any day.

Also disagree that the BGM is just a MEC with Jap rod.....it isnt. The BGM are full circle and balanced. The MEC webs are the black 'cut out' style webs....very different.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information