GP air box in to an Ser 2?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rotor
Main scooter: 1960 S2 Italian

Just a quick check will the bigger neck GP airbox and scoop, top holes line up and fit ok in to a 1960 frame ? need lots more air for my 22/24 carb as its being strangled on the old 125 very small neck set up, was thinking of drilling a few holes in airbox too? trying to keep a standard-ish look at the moment !
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

No. It's the clasp on the top of the S2 toolbox that's the problem. It is set further back than the S3 toolbox and makes it very difficult to squeeze a S3 airbox in. Not good really. Why don't you just use a remote filter?
Rotor

Thanks, thought that might be the case, plan B remote filter then ! off to the carb section of the forum now for some 'ball' park jetting :mrgreen:
Paul
soullad
Dealer

wouldn't the tv 175 s2 airbox fit? I recall this being designed (bigger diameter top hole / wider) for better airflow for the 20 mm carb?
You could also remove the inner baffle and drill some holes, on the front, on the side facing the toolbox, so they are less visible?
A touch fiddly but if thats the look you are after?
Doom Patrol

You're right. It probably would. But you don't see them about that often.
Rotor

Had thought about that for an initial idea but as you say availability not to mention cost, I guess they have a bigger/different scoop too?
Where as a GP airbox can be picked up for peanuts. I wonder if the elbow is the same on a TV size/fitting wise? Also I would feel bad drilling a genuine old TV air box full of holes !
Fish

Have you taken the internal baffle out out of the original air box. Easy enough with a dremmel
Rotor

Not even thought of that :? might be an easier option ! do you think it will flow enough, bored out 22-24mm carb, one of those stage 4 alloy kits and an old fresco ?
Doom Patrol

If you are going to do that don't forget to open up the air scoop as well.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Just had a look at my own S2 TV airbox, I never realised that they don't have the gooseneck in them, just a tube about 3 inches long with a few holes drilled it in. I feel all anoraky now. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information