kytronic

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Don't forget to consider the actual revs you ride at. No point having ur timing at 15 degrees at 6000 revs
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

i presume thats why MRB recommend 25deg then it will retard to 17deg , basically variotronic settings, at least there is plenty to play with. been running her at 17deg and she flies, but started to hole a piston due to an air leak, thats why mark has reommended the kytronic
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

The kytronic stops air leaks???
Donnie.
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

never said that, missed a load there lol, beer lmao at the time we wherent sure what caused the holing of the piston, we thought it could do with ignition timing, it was only on closer inspection where we suspect the either base gasket ( turned to mush) or the sealent had failed on the head
Mike - - Bristol
Main scooter: Silver Special 195

Here's one for the guys using this bit of kit,
What sort of difference have you noticed?
I've got a 195RT kit ready to go on and was thinking of trying one of these.
Chris F
Main scooter: 1967 Lambitsa 200

I've got a mate that fit one on his P2 Polini. We went for a fifty mile ride last weekend and I could tell a difference... in my trying to keep up with him from the lights. It could also be that I've put on a few pounds during the festive season. Anyway, He says it's made a very nice improvement to the the whole "ride" & plans on installing one on his rally 200. I currently run a Varitronic... which has been trouble free. However, the next Vespa I own. I'll purchase a keytronic to go on it on my friends recommendation.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

One worry with these "plotted curve retard boxes" as opposed to a straight forward retard, is the worry of holing at mid-range. I read one thread where someone holed a piston as the group he was riding with was quite slow and he never got the rev's to retard, keeping his timing in the 20's. I'm sure "set up correctly" would stop this happening but these plotted curve boxes seem more difficult to set than a Varitronc, M-Tech, etc.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

mick1 wrote:One worry with these "plotted curve retard boxes" as opposed to a straight forward retard, is the worry of holing at mid-range. I read one thread where someone holed a piston as the group he was riding with was quite slow and he never got the rev's to retard, keeping his timing in the 20's. I'm sure "set up correctly" would stop this happening but these plotted curve boxes seem more difficult to set than a Varitronc, M-Tech, etc.
Thats exactly the problem I had with an Agusto 6000 and my ADS3 exhaust that doesn't like to rev beyond 6000 rpm on the road... The unit was not fully retarted with the groups I was riding with. With the Kytronic you can select the curve from the charts thats going to have you in the right place for the group you ride with, you can also select another curve for another day too....
soulsurfer

ForemanBob wrote:
mick1 wrote:One worry with these "plotted curve retard boxes" as opposed to a straight forward retard, is the worry of holing at mid-range. I read one thread where someone holed a piston as the group he was riding with was quite slow and he never got the rev's to retard, keeping his timing in the 20's. I'm sure "set up correctly" would stop this happening but these plotted curve boxes seem more difficult to set than a Varitronc, M-Tech, etc.
Thats exactly the problem I had with an Agusto 6000 and my ADS3 exhaust that doesn't like to rev beyond 6000 rpm on the road... The unit was not fully retarted with the groups I was riding with. With the Kytronic you can select the curve from the charts thats going to have you in the right place for the group you ride with, you can also select another curve for another day too....
I thought the idea was that you select the curve to match the power curve of your motor, therefore you're okay throughout the full rev range of your motor :?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

You should select the power curve that matches the power curve of your motor AND your style of riding. Get a rev counter and see what revs you cruise at. If there is a high load on the engine (45 mph and up) then make sure the timing is retarded just under where you cruise at. I don't cruise much on my street racer except WOT or just under that, so for me a full retardation at, say, 7,000 rpm should suit me there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information