poor rear brake performance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
roadrunnerian

i had my rear brake upgraded to a jockeys while it was in for an engine upgrade,now to get the rear brake to stop in a safe distance you have to adjust it so it binds and the arm does not return it looks like it is over camming when braking its got gp brakes fitted good i change the cam to a li/sx so it will open the brakes more any ideas will be welcome thanks
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

am i reading it right , gp brake shoes fitted with li/sx cam?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
sydduckett

I had the same problem pretty much word for word. I have just rebuilt the bike including a new jockey, mate brought the old one as he needed it and mine was off the road. mine is an Li. currently the engine is out of the bike but I have had to go back to the origonal cam that I had slightly ground down to even get the hub on. new cam didn't allow enough clearance also had to take the leading edge of the shoes and some high spots. The brake works when t.he arm is pulled back manually but there doesn't seem to be much travel between on and off. until I get it back in the bike and the cable pulling it I won't know if it's going to work or not. should find out this weekend, fingers crossed.
roadrunnerian

thanks for the quick reply Syd let us know how you get on, Fairspares at the moment as far as i know its fitted with a gp cam,it just seems to me that the cam is going vertical to open the shoes far enough to brake if i fitted a wider cam ie li/sx would it solve the problem that is my question thanks
soulsurfer

Syd's problem seems the opposite to the problem here :-?

What casing is this, and have you spoken to whoever did the upgrade? Sounds like an adjustment issue to me.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Have you still got the extra "boots" on the GP brake shoes?
roadrunnerian

Hi its a gp casing indian 200 as far as i know,what are the brake boots m8 ? when i adjust it to lock up the brakes don't return fully and bind a bit you have to push the lever back to free it off.i'm wondering have they fitted a sx/li rear hub to gp brakes the hub was with the scooter when i bought it 7years ago and the problem was there then but not as bad.
soulsurfer

If you've never changed the cam from 7 years ago, this could be the problem. All hubs are the same, have you looked at the movement with the hub off? Maybe post some pics of the brakes and cam?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

roadrunnerian wrote:Hi its a gp casing indian 200 as far as i know,what are the brake boots m8 ?

Extra bits that fit on the shoes at the cam end on GP shoes.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

He says it's a jockeys brake kit so they use different shoes to the normal lambretta shoes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information