Kickstart oil seal installation problem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jazzdude
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 Silver Special

I have been trying for the past hour to get the oil seal in without the inner rubber ring turning inside out when I push the kickstart shaft in the last couple of mm.

I have tried wrapping the splines in tape and used a bit of thin plastic as a tube but the inner lips still turn outwards. I can't imagine how this seal can go on without the lips turning out when the ring for the circlip passes through it. Is it supposed to be like this or am I missing something.
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

Thought I'd reply as I had the same problem last week with a genuine SIL GP shaft... I found the machined part where the outer bush and oilseal run had virtually no chamfer to it at its outboard/spline end, so as I pushed the shaft in this sharp edge caught on the oilseal. I guess you are having a similar issue as you say it is only catching in the last few mm, so not on the splines themselves. I ended up chamfering the edge VERY CAREFULLY with a small file and then dressed it smooth with a fine sharpening stone, and then greased up well. It only needed a tiny chamfer to allow the oil seal to open a tad and to slide up onto the machined part of the shaft. Hope this is helpful :)
joespeed

try the milk carton cut into a roll,well greased up to assist with assembly
jazzdude

I must admit the thought of filing anything worries me.

When you say use a milk carton, I assume you mean a cardboard one? Should it be wrapped just around just the splines or over the machined part too?
joespeed

no a plastic one wrap it around the shaft and tape it on grease the outside and slide through the seal when home remove the tape and ease out the home made tube leaving the seal intact!
jazzdude

thanks I will try that. :D
jazzdude

Just thought I'd add, I know the bush on the gearbox side must be flush with the housing, should it be proud on the kick start side because it is on mine.
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

The outer bush should be flush with the flat surface, inside the oil seal recess, that the oil seal inner face sits against. This will make sure it doesn't foul the oil seal lip, although I shouldn't think a mm or so either way will matter too much. See Sticky's manual, edition 2, page 69.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information