imola double boost port pistons

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

over the weekend ive had the engine on the workbench doing my 6 plate clutch conversion and giving it a general clean down and check over ready for neaxt year. Was very dissapointed to find my piston was starting to hole, apart from the clutch burning out on the way back from bridlington she was running fine, colour of the plug was spot on, no pinking, and performance was excellent. cant really see any tell tale signs of leakage so dont really know whats caused it. Spoke to Mark broadhurst about getting a RT piston but hes going to look into it, unfortunatley it may take a little time, so may have to buy one from cam lam, Is there another piston on the market that could replace it?
nelson pk

thebassmasta wrote:over the weekend ive had the engine on the workbench doing my 6 plate clutch conversion and giving it a general clean down and check over ready for neaxt year. Was very dissapointed to find my piston was starting to hole, apart from the clutch burning out on the way back from bridlington she was running fine, colour of the plug was spot on, no pinking, and performance was excellent. cant really see any tell tale signs of leakage so dont really know whats caused it. Spoke to Mark broadhurst about getting a RT piston but hes going to look into it, unfortunatley it may take a little time, so may have to buy one from cam lam, Is there another piston on the market that could replace it?
There is nothing wrong with the pistons from Cam lam so i dont understand why the hesitation to buy?
If you dont find out why its melting the top and fix that it will do it to any piston on the market.
Hope you get it sorted :)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... agreed. If you don't address the cause then it'll do exactly the same to the next piston you put in too, regardless of type or cost.

Adam
slangen
Main scooter: TV200

Well there are fat super duper pistons but I doubt they are compatible.
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

Totally agree guys, need to find out why its happened, ignition was set at 17%, maybe need to come down to 15% to 16% and fit a retard box to help. no jokes about the retard lmao, These new imola kits dont come with head gaskets, it was sealed down with the equivalant of yamabond, i am tempted to use a thin gasket though to be on the safe side. Also tempted to use cam lams copper base gasket just in case any leaks occured from the base. Mark has mentioned that the imola kits tend to be a bit high on the heads, so i think the head may need to be looked at. Will possibly treat myself to leak down tester kit aswell. At the end of the day im not going find out whats happened this time as there are no tell tale signs so im going to have to double check everthing when i rebuild her.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I'd agree that the heads can be a bit high on compression, however, all engines are about getting the balance right. As such, a little less ignition advance can work well with a little too much compression. Indeed, one reason why these kits tend to be quite high on compression is that they've been designed by the same design house that would ideally look to set it up with a Varitronic advance/retard ignition. If you don't fit an advance/retard ignition, of one sort or another, then simply backing off the static timing a little would keep it cool and give you a bigger safety margin. Sure, you may lose a little low rev power but it'll be no less powerful at cruising or top speeds.

There is plenty written about the relationship of timing and compression, however, (providing that this wasn't the result of a leak) then listen to what your motor is telling you and knock the timing back a bit.

Adam
soullad
Dealer

the rd 350 ypvs piston comes in approx. 64 - 66 mm sizes. Different crown height / profile but might be worth a long term thought / investment ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information