The Super Monza exposed.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulsurfer

I don't know why you're getting obsessed with the maths, you've been told & shown what this motor can do, if you don't believe it or understand it fine... move on, or talk to Cam Lam or Charlie if your seriously interested and you'll get the precise answers you need, but I doubt you'll make the call :roll:
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
nelson pk

Just to try and explain what i think is being said about the dyno's here (please tell me if i am completely wrong Tony).

Heat on a 2 stroke engine creates power (ie when your 2 stroke is cold it runs shite, when it warms up......vroooooooom) however overheating is not good news.

If an engine is under load it will create lots of heat and controlling that has a lot to do with putting power on the tarmac. Your engine will be getting hotter up a hill or against a wind/ wind resistance as its working harder.

An inertia dyno which most people have on here is an excellent tool in a good operators hand however you cannot simulate real world conditions/load the engine as well as a step/brake dyno which most of the SM's and all the performance tuning race teams scoots have been set up on.

The difference has been shown in the fact that the PT teams scoots on Charlies dyno read certain amounts of EGT temps.

When they were put on Dans dyno not one PT teams bikes could reach the required EGT temp for full power read outs because that dyno is an inertia dyno and you cannot load the engine up like you can on a brake/step dyno.

They were jetting down considerably but still could not get the EGT temps that they get on Charlies dyno.

This is the difference........The SM read 30hp on Dans dyno (inertia) but could not get up to full operating temp. The RB ran at 41hp on an inertia dyno but in the real world who's putting more power down on the tarmac is the question........

There are differences between an inertia and step/brake dyno.

I am not slating inertia dyno's as i would still go to someone with an inertia dyno who you know is a competent operator over trying to set up a bike on my own but there are key differences.

So this is why my original point in this thread was.....we should be looking at why a 30hp Scoot got a better speed than a 41hp scoot and analyzing these results rather than saying.......noooooo it cant be done! Stone him :D
willwander

tony wrote:In response to Nelson pk.
After the top speed was done and repeated at 104mph charley told jimmy to turn it back and go enjoy the rest of the day.
Hmmm that's not how I remember it.
The Super Monza is a great kit, I don't think you need to 'over' sell it.
standing mile: 118.6mph
1/4 mile: 14.04 seconds - 93mph
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

nelson pk wrote:
So this is why my original point in this thread was.....we should be looking at why a 30hp Scoot got a better speed than a 41hp scoot and analyzing these results rather than saying.......noooooo it cant be done! Stone him :D
I agree,it sounds mad but I'm sure I read (correct me if I'm wrong) it was up geared to achieve this top speed so sacrificed acceleration.We all love top speed figures as it's good talk but I like good ol acceleration that's why I asked what was its 1/4 mile time with that setup and how did it compare to the 41hp times? It's not knocking anything or anyone but just wanted to know the difference in 1/4 mile times?
soullad
Dealer

Fellas,
Try not to get bogged down in the finer detail ....
I was trackside in Spain when PT turned up with the 2 road going scooters. They ran non stop for 6 hrs and beat everything going in that race.
Since then James has rallied his scooter all over the Uk.
We have now just had official confirmation of some amazing Elvington results.

This is a performance kit for your Lambretta, its been designed to make you go faster further, .... come on ...whats not to like?
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Like I said in a previous post, I am interested in the 1/4ml times they both achieved. I am curious to know the times or was it a top speed event rather than a sprint?
nelson pk

Hi Soosh
Sorry i meant to reply to your post earlier. I dont think this event had 1/4 mile sprints but i think both scoots have been entered in 1/4 mile sprints in meets before but i dont have times.
soulsurfer

It's a bolt on CE built road motor, I hope this helps ;)
Last edited by soulsurfer on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
nelson pk

The super monza is a kit you can buy that is recommended to run with a recommended crank, exhaust, ignition and gearing. All those components have been tested together for good performance and reliability. The super monza is more like an engine design where everything works in harmony with each other....not a barrel from here, exhaust from there, crank from another source and so on. It is a fast touring engine for the road not a CE race engine as Tony has already pointed out.
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

nelson pk wrote: I think what most people on here are trying to understand is how a 30hp motor beat the top speed of a 41hp motor and why that 41hp motor didnt trounce all over the super monza.
Yes class me as "most people".

After all these pages, I am no closer to understanding how the SM can do that. :(

Will someone please inform me how -11bhp = faster! :oops:

Ta.

SF
Locked Previous topicNext topic
  • Information