Water in my exhaust after a decoke

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jazzdude
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 Silver Special

Following some advice I filled my exhaust with caustic soda and left it overnight. After a thorough rinse out there is still water in there sloshing about. I have tried violently shaking it and some droplets come out but the rest of it is still there.

Any ideas on how I can get it out?
chris2470

Fit it and start it, the water won't be around for long.
If bothered about the above stick a hairdryer up it.
Best Regards

Chris
jazzdude

Although the water ran clear when I rinsed it, when I shake it around some small blocks of crud come out the size of a fingernail, with droplets of brown water. Should I flush it out again with caustic soda?
jazzdude

I tried a hot air heat gun, no difference, still a lot of water in there and lumps of coke drop out the exhaust pipe when I shake the barrel about.
mcbrid

Buy a new exhaust?

You know you have a clean'un then.

Sounds as though its had a hard life and unless its an Ulma rareity won't be worth messing about with.

:)
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I really wouldn't worry about it. You should see the giant spray of oil/water that came out of my exhaust once I had it hot tanked. After a good ride it will be all dried out. It will never be as clean as it was when new but it should be a lot better.

You have to remember the stock exhaust has padding in the inside that absorbs sound, and water. When I have exhausts hot tanked I have the shop put it in their oven for 24 hours to dry them out now. Even then you'll have bits of carbon shoot out the tip once in a while.
jazzdude

I am halfway through a restoration and it's going to be a few months until it starts so I am hoping that while it is sitting there it doesn't make it worse.
mcbrid

Please let me know when you get it on the road - just so I dont follow too closely behind you!

:D
Ihateyoubutler

That's exactly what happened to me earlier this year. If not using the exhaust for a while, store it somewhere warm and it will dry out. When you do use it, carry a long piece of wire (straightened out coat hanger ) under your seat to coax out any bits of carbon that get stuck in your tailpipe and make your scoot conk out. Sounds drastic, but if it's an original exhaust, it will run well and sound great once clear.
jazzdude

Thanks, I was just surprised that the caustic soda didn't dissolve all of the carbon and bits come out when it is shaken.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information