Burnt out Clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
immylam

Burnt my clutch plates out coming home from Brid (into strong winds ) doing speeds of between 60 and 65. Clutch plates burnt out over the distance of about 2 miles - started slipping and then no drive at all. It seemed very sudden. Clutch cable wasn't overtightened and drove down and 90% of way home - over 400 miles. I only changed the plates about 600 miles ago ( including trip distance) as previous ones burnt out. Plates were good quality surflex and new steels and oil was fine, I put a centre spring in as they were previously slipping when I put a 225 rapido on. Have new plates and will fit them some time in the next couple of weeks , anything I should be looking out for or could it just be that the clutch was just having a hard time in the driving conditions? Have been looking at one of the 5 plate cassette clutches but will use the surflex plates I have and see how they go first.
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

I did exactly the same thing dude on the way home from brid, obviously the wind was a major factor, she gave up on me 22 miles from home. I was thinking about a readspeed 6 plate but people are telling me just to put a 5 plate in, Im reading all the posts regarding clutches and still havent made my mind up. CONFUSED DOT COM. It all boils down to budget, others im considering , SSC/Morris 5 plate, around £180 but not seen much info on them, MB 6 plate, looks good but its well over £400, woudnt touch the AF cassette type road version, you need arms like popeye to pull it in, but the race version is supposed to be better, Just need a very good clutch to handle a 24bhp imola
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Just check the "ears" on the plates haven't been catching on the kickstart part of the side casing. It's happened to me and also a mate. Simple job to grind a bit of the casing.

i also burnt a clutch out by a dodgy/worn clutch cable not fully releasing. The cable was frayed and when the clutch lever was disengaged the cable was still holding the clutch partly in........burning the clutch out.
ducksta

mick1 wrote:Just check the "ears" on the plates haven't been catching on the kickstart part of the side casing. It's happened to me and also a mate. Simple job to grind a bit of the casing.

i also burnt a clutch out by a dodgy/worn clutch cable not fully releasing. The cable was frayed and when the clutch lever was disengaged the cable was still holding the clutch partly in........burning the clutch out.
when did you realise it was the cable Mick was it on the sixth or seventh time when i told you to check the cable :D :D fair play to you tho to strip the engine down in a field 200 mile from home respect
live life your a long time dead
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

ducksta wrote:
mick1 wrote:Just check the "ears" on the plates haven't been catching on the kickstart part of the side casing. It's happened to me and also a mate. Simple job to grind a bit of the casing.

when did you realise it was the cable Mick was it on the sixth or seventh time when i told you to check the cable :D :D fair play to you tho to strip the engine down in a field 200 mile from home respect
Sling enough darts at the board Ducksta and you'll eventually hit a bull..........unfortunately for me it was in a field 200 miles from home when i'ld changed the clutch twice.........good call though :)
ducksta

it filled the morning in after all with some witty banter to boot
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

mick1 wrote: Sling enough darts at the board Ducksta and you'll eventually hit the bull.......
Lol :)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
ducksta

you would still be sat there if it wernt for the phil taylor of scooters
coaster

It's essential to 'build' the clutch carefully. Whith the clutch assembled and fully compressed you should measure the clearance between the top plate and the first friction dish. 2mm absolute max, 1.5mm ideal, use thin/thick steels and or plates to achieve. MB springs should be give enough pressure and are easy in the fingers
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

The locating pin on my clutch bell was sticking which caused my clutch to burn out very quickly..... :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information