imola kit, re plate or steel liner ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

just got a mk 2 imola cylinder that has a 3mm square bit of the nicasil lining missing, It would probably go again but I thought it would be a good excuse to have some tuning done . I was thinking having a steel liner put in but have blank i.e no exhaust inlet or transfers cut into it, may be just have some pilot holes cut. this way I could have a blank canvas to go mad with some tuning. was also thinking of using a yam rd 350 piston, far cheaper and lots of over sizes . what do you tuning experts think or is there some other options ?. cheers simon
soullad
Dealer

just had this exactly done mate, Imola steel lined, rd piston.
One thing to watch, I Needed the barrel shortening due to differing crown height of the piston / existing rod length. This had a knock - on effect on the inlet manifold clearance issues, so do a dry build with engine in the frame too, plus right hand rear runner.
Whilst getting it done, might be worth thinking about matching it to a recessed head too ?
The engine is running with conservative exhaust port timing at the mo ... but that's the beauty, being steel, its no hassle to raise it a few degrees.
It becomes a really useful long distance touring set-up. You can carry a spare piston kit for (£40 or so) in ya toolbox and this should get you outta all but the most serious roadside issues?
Oversizes to 66.5 I think, so should last forever and a day really.
Whats not to like?
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

was thinking 60/116 crank wise and v-force reed aswell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information