Motorcycle petrol cap?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Birdie
Main scooter: gp200

Want to fit a motor cycle petrol cap to a cut down, using stainless scooter products 17 litre tank. Sure someone has advised using a Yamaha one.

Is there a particular model I need to get - about seventeen to choose from on eBay

Thanks
Last edited by Birdie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Are you after the Aero type flip up cap, or a screw in type?
Birdie

One with a flip opening like this - have seen them fitted but is it an easy job? Will be taking the frame to do a bit of welding and wanted to get this mod done at same time:

Hope this works!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZF-75 ... 5aef09d269

Thanks for help

Keith
RICSPEED

its not an easy job .. I have done it on my gp but what you have to remember is that the tank is rubber mounted and the loop isn't so the aero cap effectively becomes a fancy looking flap with the standard cap underneath

this one however has the cap attached to the tank (or so it would appear) and the nessasary clearance

Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
10 inch Terror

I've fitted one to my scooter but it's not an easy process. The biggest problem I had was the difference in sizes between the outlet of the cap and the size of the lambretta tank opening. I had to get a special step rubber made by a company in Hong Kong via eBay. Also you need to make an adaptor plate to screw the cap to which then needs welding to the frame loop above the petrol tank which if you can weld and have access to a welder is no biggy. Also once the aero cap is fitted it leaves very little room between it and the fuel tank meaning the cap needs careful cutting down. I have a Diablo long range in mine and once fitted I had a hell of a job connecting the rubber between the cap and tank and doing up the jubilee clips but it can be done with a bit of thought and effort. If you like I can take a few photos and post them up for you. Cheers and good luck Pete.
RICSPEED

10 inch Terror wrote: I had a hell of a job connecting the rubber between the cap and tank and doing up the jubilee clips
for that reason I chose to not have mine connected in any way with standard cap underneath

10 inch Terror

RICSPEED wrote:
10 inch Terror wrote: I had a hell of a job connecting the rubber between the cap and tank and doing up the jubilee clips
for that reason I chose to not have mine connected in any way with standard cap underneath

This is more or less the exact same way I fitted mine. How do you get your hand in to unscrew the cap off the tank? I did think of leaving the rubber connector off but I couldn't get my hands in to unscrew the cap.
RICSPEED

I have long fingers :lol:
Birdie

Hi thank you for explaining how to do this and sharing the photos. Looks like retaining the original cap underneath is the easiest option, however I have short fingers :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information