Need opinions on the condition of this gearbox!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

So, I've known about (and had big plans for) the SX200 gearbox that's been in my garage for quite a while. Just got around to giving it a thorough inspection and now I'm not so sure of it's condition. I haven't had any gearbox problems in 16 years (knock on wood) and I would prefer to not start now. I thought I would post this and see what the experts think....

All the teeth look good, as well as the inner grooves where the gear selector runs. 1st gear kickstart teeth look in usable condition as well....BUT these grooves are all around. Only on the sides without bosses. Other side of all four gears look perfect. I would think if the grooves were worn this way by running they would look highly polished. These look machined, but surely they didn't come this way from the factory!?

The depth of the grooves aren't that deep (see the last picture). My question is, is it safe to run? Or is it scrap?

1st and 4th

2nd and 3rd. The polished areas are what I imagine is wear.

bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

That don't look good. Its been catching somewhere. Just had a look at my spare ones and that groove shouldn't be there. I wouldn't use it as it will be weak and easier to snap the teeth off.
Unless someone knows better and says they are ok ....lol
bizzly

I double posted...lol
Last edited by bizzly on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizzly

I stand corrected. I looked at all my spare gearbox's and all of them including the sx 200 are smooth, until I came across this. I think this is the TV175 gearbox I have. Same teeth as sx200 though.

Solerunner1

Mine could definitely be a TV175 gearbox too. You've got those grooves too! Then they may have come that way? Wonder why. I was looking at scooter restorations website and there's a pic of an SX/TV gear that has a groove in it too. Hmmmm.....
bizzly

Ive no idea...lol. Must of been a reason but honestly don't know.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

It's because the 60's were groovy, man :D
Adam_Winstone

Fully machined faces suggests Jet200 (same as SX200 and TV175 ratios), whereas the Innocenti gears have areas of casting still evident with the Innocenti 'I' logo on them. Are both sides of the gears machined?
Solerunner1

I don't believe the other side is machined, other than the boss (with oil slots) itself. The rest of it has that rough cast appearance. I can take pics when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow. But I guess this gearbox is safe to use then? That'd be gooood news. :D
carlos fandango

Whats going on with the kickstart teeth ? looks like they (some) have been re machined/ground ?
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information