honda 295 flywheel advice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Boothy_the_makem
Playstation gamer tag: Phantomkiller_uk
Main scooter: modded t5 classic wi a parker

Since my flywheel has sheared all the rivets I was wondering wether to get it lightened before reconnecting it using high tensile bolts.
So any thoughts on leaving as is or lightening much appreciated, thanks.
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
Ihateyoubutler

Can't answer you question about lightening or not, but if you do want it lightening, there's a very nice man who lives on Flint mountain who has a Gp crankshaft (mandrel?) mount for his lathe who will do it for you. Pm me if you want his phone number.
Boothy_the_makem

Ihateyoubutler wrote:Can't answer you question about lightening or not, but if you do want it lightening, there's a very nice man who lives on Flint mountain who has a Gp crankshaft (mandrel?) mount for his lathe who will do it for you. Pm me if you want his phone number.

First offI ive just noticed my thread title
Honda 295 lol . Dunno where the extra 90cc came from lol :D

Cheers ive got someone to machine it if I go down that route.

Ere blakey who are you ?
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
Boothy_the_makem

Ok chaps . Original flywheel is ready and ive bought a af rayspeed lightened one.
The af looks a nice bit of kit and is going on. Mainly to ease my concerns of damaging the crank.
But I have had a few disscusions concerning the running. Ie the motor working harder etc.
I would be interested to hear any pros and cons regarding this.
Another option is to get my original flywheel machined down to mid weight.

Or will I be more than happy with the af ? :D
camel

Mr Booth its the light old ducati style light flywheel you have not a lightened one.I've heard of people going back to Indian mid weight ones due to pick up issues,can anyone shed any light to that fact or are they ok?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

They seem to work with some stators and not with others. These are the newer ones with the spacer washers I'm talking about. I was one of the unlucky ones and ended up sending it back to AF.
stokky

When using AF lightened flywheels, I get 1ml taken from the inside of the mag flange.

In effect this allows the stator to fit 1ml lower, and this seems to align pickups better.
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

I have an AFR lightweight flywheel on my Imola powered Gp and I had to cut down two of the laminates on the stator for the pickup to sit in the right place. Also noticed that when it is ticking over timing marks are at about 11-12degrees BTDC but as soon as you rev it a bit they move up to 17 degrees which is where I want them. It runs very well indeed and picks up really well. Just check that the LT coil misses the inside of the Flywheel or it will kill your stator!! Check out the notes on AF's site about fitting the flywheel to a normal stator, I have just fitted a new BGM Dc converted stator and it comes set up to run one of these with instructions on what to check and modify if required.

Hope this all makes sense. Andy
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

stokky wrote:When using AF lightened flywheels, I get 1ml taken from the inside of the mag flange.

In effect this allows the stator to fit 1ml lower, and this seems to align pickups better.
I think this one very much depends, best to assemble on your casing and see.

On my rebuild, I had changed the crank and my original AF rubbed on the pickup when torqued down whereas an AFR one did not. The AF one was fine with the old crank. I tried using a thinner gasket to get the mag housing to sit further in but still couldn't,t get enough clearance. Moving the stator back by machining the mag can cause pickup alignment issues.

On measuring the flywheels up I found the AFR one was 0.7mm deeper, so I had the AF one machined on the inside face to the same depth and no more rubbing and no alteration to the alignment.

I believe that this was a mod that Taffspeed used to perform on the original flywheels.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Boothy_the_makem

camel wrote:Mr Booth its the light old ducati style light flywheel you have not a lightened one.I've heard of people going back to Indian mid weight ones due to pick up issues,can anyone shed any light to that fact or are they ok?

Sorry Clive I meant lightweight not lightened :)

Cheers for the feedback folks. .
I was chatting to a few lads at scooter club last night who swear by them. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information