Exhaust gasket

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

That You Tube clip always gets me :lol: Rusty old file with no handle. He's holding it the wrong way and using it incorrectly :cry: :shock: :o
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Lamaddict

I thought those white ones you see about now were an improvement over the copper ones but maybe not. I've always put the copper ones in water for 10 mins before I put them on, I don't if it does any good but I've just done it as a habit. I've also reused the copper ones if desperate because I haven't had a new one, they've held up well normally.

Unless I've missed it, it would make for a good topic in Scootering to look at, especially for the top end gaskets.
jonbus

dapper wrote:That You Tube clip always gets me :lol: Rusty old file with no handle. He's holding it the wrong way and using it incorrectly :cry: :shock: :o
And to file it without stuffing a rag in the opening allowing all the filings to enter the u bend :roll:
mickdale

bend the flange back to square, then file or the single coil washers and nuts are on a slant in relation to flange?
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

dapper wrote:That You Tube clip always gets me :lol: Rusty old file with no handle. He's holding it the wrong way and using it incorrectly :cry: :shock: :o

Ok, I see the no handle part but not the wrong way part. It's a file after all, lay flat and push with even downward pressure. Clean off file and repeat until done. :roll:

jonbus wrote:And to file it without stuffing a rag in the opening allowing all the filings to enter the u bend :roll:
Isn't that what compressed air is for? Becides, it's not a case being ported with the bearings still in place (which I've seen done on this forum) :shock:

I've been surfacing exhaust flanges like this for years and apart from being a little labor intensive I have never had a single problem, with filings or other problems. Maybe one day I'll buy a big belt sander to do this but until then I'll stick with the file method.
dapper

I spent the first four months of my apprenticeship filing blocks of mild steel to tolerances of +/-1Thou. The instructors taught us how to stand correctly and hold the file so that we filed flat and didn't go over at the end of each stroke. After four months we were pretty good at it. Then they gave us a rest as we went onto another course, but we still came back later for more filing. :roll: The only tools they suppied us with were a tool box, a smooth file and a b@5t@rd file with a file card for cleaning the files. :cry:
jonbus

Grumpy225 wrote:

Ok, I see the no handle part but not the wrong way part. It's a file after all, lay flat and push with even downward pressure. Clean off file and repeat until done. :roll:

jonbus wrote:And to file it without stuffing a rag in the opening allowing all the filings to enter the u bend :roll:
Isn't that what compressed air is for? Becides, it's not a case being ported with the bearings still in place (which I've seen done on this forum) :shock:

I've been surfacing exhaust flanges like this for years and apart from being a little labor intensive I have never had a single problem, with filings or other problems. Maybe one day I'll buy a big belt sander to do this but until then I'll stick with the file method.
compressed air is for pumping up tyres is it not you trumpet
soulsurfer

dapper wrote:I spent the first four months of my apprenticeship filing blocks of mild steel to tolerances of +/-1Thou. The instructors taught us how to stand correctly and hold the file so that we filed flat and didn't go over at the end of each stroke. After four months we were pretty good at it. Then they gave us a rest as we went onto another course, but we still came back later for more filing. :roll: The only tools they suppied us with were a tool box, a smooth file and a b@5t@rd file with a file card for cleaning the files. :cry:
Dockyard/MoD apprenticeship?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
dapper

soulsurfer wrote:
dapper wrote:I spent the first four months of my apprenticeship filing blocks of mild steel to tolerances of +/-1Thou. The instructors taught us how to stand correctly and hold the file so that we filed flat and didn't go over at the end of each stroke. After four months we were pretty good at it. Then they gave us a rest as we went onto another course, but we still came back later for more filing. :roll: The only tools they suppied us with were a tool box, a smooth file and a b@5t@rd file with a file card for cleaning the files. :cry:
Dockyard/MoD apprenticeship?
You got it first time ;)
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

jonbus wrote:compressed air is for pumping up tyres is it not you trumpet

Compressed air has lots of uses, but don't tell anyone. Theyll all want to get in on it. :o

How dare you call me a trumpet! I consider my self a saxophone if anything. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information