Coatings

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dirtyhandslopez

And here it is(see thread on bgm exhaust fitments).
Addressing the coatings-I reckon most paint finishes and coatings(if cured) will mess up because when the pipe expands/contracts due to heat, The coatings may not expand or contract quite as readily. Simple physics.
Chrome and aluminium coatings are the exceptions as they are a type of steel and will expand and contract. Plus, they are good indicators of how the motor is running, Just look at the color of the downpipe... Ever wondered why most bike buidlers use chrome or ali. coated exhausts? Not just 'cause it looks nice ;) .
Powder coating warms up and stretches when it get's hot, but it has to be applied correctly or it won't adhere properly and even then, if the coating is baked on hard(as the coaters do, it's what the ovens are set for) it will be a hard surface trying to stick to a surface that changes in dimensions. Tough job for a coating of any kind.
May be why good pipes are sold uncoated. It then gives the buyer a choice of what to do...
Painting or coating so that the finish is not cured might be the answer to the problem 'cause it will still be sticky and strecthy. That may be why cheap paint works if not cured properly. Good chrome or ali. coatings, if applied correctly, never fall off, they simply change color according to the heat going through it.
I heard that all down the pub, so take it with a grain of salt :)
That's not going anywhere...
dirtyhandslopez

That was a splendid bottle of wine, shame it took up so much bandwith.
There's a valid point in there somewhere...
That's not going anywhere...
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

I thought about installing a Scooterotica breathalyser.......no drinking and posting! Lol......but realised the post count would drop by 85%

;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

dirtyhandslopez wrote:That was a splendid bottle of wine, shame it took up so much bandwith.
There's a valid point in there somewhere...

Of course theres a point.

Ceramic coat your exhaust (or at least the headder) and be done with it.

Paint flakes off no matter how well it's done, Chrome will turn blue and powder coating will burn off (it is basically plastic anyways).

Or just leave it bare and wipe down with wd40 every time you ride. Stinks like mad and at some point it will get rusty because you missed a spot. I never coated my two stroke designs pipe and it looks great (a couple of rust spots forming but I'll get to those).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information