BGM Clubman bad fitting downpipe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bazabod_downunder

Just taken delivery of BGM Clubman exhaust, prior to blasting then painting tried to fit the downpipe to the box & it's not going together apart from a few mm....anyone else had this problem & if so how did you rectify it......must say not very impressed after forking out for it, you would think they would at least pre-test mating before sending them out.

Baz
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Have you spoken to MB ?
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Read pages 114/115/116 current issue of Scootering.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I've just had exactly the same problem and in my case it was caused by the double wall section of the joining section not being welded concentric.
It was not my exhaust and had already been ceramic coated so I had to make it fit! By judicious use of a needle file and emery cloth between the double section where it was tight and a bit of sanding of the corresponding single section, I was able to get it to fit (just).
As you said, frustrating when you've spent that much!
YAMLAM

saw one round a mates last week, one of the brackets for the spring was welded too high up, so you could only push it onto the stub by a few mm, not a problem as my mates good at fettling and owns a welder.
still looks a nice bit of kit, but would be annoying if bought by someone hoping just to bolt on and go.
win or lose have a booze
bazabod_downunder

I have the tools & the ability to do it, just needed to know if anyone else had a similar problem, was bought from Scooter Centre & as I'm in Australia it's a bit hard to just send it back.....I would expect this sort of problem from cheap suppliers & really don't see why I should spend extra time & energy to make right a supposed premium part......just another whinge, can't see why they don't come pre-painted, seems a bit of a cop out to me.
soullad
Dealer

Had to enlongate the main bracket slots plus grind off a section of the exhaust stub as it was catching on a cylinder fin ... but that aside it looks a sturdy piece of kit and it should perform well. So all in all, worth the fettling in my eyes but agree it could be a better fit. My guess is the version 2 will have sorted these little niggles.
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

I had to "adjust" mine before the down pipe would fit on the box. I haven't tried it on the Avanti yet.....
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

bazabod_downunder wrote: as I'm in Australia .
Getting ready for the Nationals in Sydney?
soullad wrote:plus grind off a section of the exhaust stub as it was catching on a cylinder fin.
I had this problem as well and chose to grind back the fins rather than the stub. This seems to be a problem with any cylinder even the BGM RT kit which you imagine would be a perfect fit with MBgm Big box clubman!

http://www.lambrettaclubusa.net/index.p ... inder-kit/

:roll:
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

soullad wrote:Had to enlongate the main bracket slots plus grind off a section of the exhaust stub as it was catching on a cylinder fin ... but that aside it looks a sturdy piece of kit and it should perform well. So all in all, worth the fettling in my eyes but agree it could be a better fit. My guess is the version 2 will have sorted these little niggles.
This sort of thing friggin annoys me - it's not as if a Lambretta casing has radically changed shape at all in the last 40 years!
Did you have to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information