BGM Clubman bad fitting downpipe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soullad
Dealer

DigDug wrote:
soullad wrote:Had to enlongate the main bracket slots plus grind off a section of the exhaust stub as it was catching on a cylinder fin ... but that aside it looks a sturdy piece of kit and it should perform well. So all in all, worth the fettling in my eyes but agree it could be a better fit. My guess is the version 2 will have sorted these little niggles.
This sort of thing friggin annoys me - it's not as if a Lambretta casing has radically changed shape at all in the last 40 years!
true, but how many of us are running original standard top ends? The engine I fitted the exhaust to is running an Imola, so the fin design is somewhat different, hence the need to trim the stub. The barrel has also been shortened so figured that's why the main bracket holes needed fettling and so on etc etc. Like most things in lambretta land it needs a tweak ;)
yam-lam
Main scooter: serveta 125li & t5

soullad wrote:
DigDug wrote:
soullad wrote:Had to enlongate the main bracket slots plus grind off a section of the exhaust stub as it was catching on a cylinder fin ... but that aside it looks a sturdy piece of kit and it should perform well. So all in all, worth the fettling in my eyes but agree it could be a better fit. My guess is the version 2 will have sorted these little niggles.
This sort of thing friggin annoys me - it's not as if a Lambretta casing has radically changed shape at all in the last 40 years!
true, but how many of us are running original standard top ends? The engine I fitted the exhaust to is running an Imola, so the fin design is somewhat different, hence the need to trim the stub. The barrel has also been shortened so figured that's why the main bracket holes needed fettling and so on etc etc. Like most things in lambretta land it needs a tweak ;)
Mine did not fit my standard engine , m.b , was very helpfull offered to fit it , can't remember if they offered me a credit note or refound , as time was against me I decided to take the hammer & dremel to it . Best advice is to dry fit before painting any problems call surplyer
bazabod_downunder

I haven't even tried to fit the stub to the barrel yet, it's a mugello so I had to order a different swans neck bracket which was out of stock & had to wait ages, still wasn't in stock but noticed they had them but plated so a extra letter on the part number....nothing like product knowledge is there boys ;O) any ways I have emailed Scooter-Centre, they haven't got back to me yet, I'm sure they will (hopefully), to be honest what are they going to do?...would take weeks to send it back & wait for a replacement that probably would be just the same, so a looks like a bit of fettling & general faffing around will be required.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

soullad wrote:
DigDug wrote:
Standard SX200 in my case. :lol:
Herman
Main scooter: GP200

If I'd bought an old exhaust for 40 quid off ebay, I'd expect it to be a gamble as to whether it would fit.
If I bought an exhaust for over 200 quid for a standard top end, I wouldn't expect to have to cut, file or weld anything or pay anyone to do it for me. (For that kind of money, I'd also expect it to be painted! How much would it cost the producers to have these painted as a job lot?). I was considering buying one the the exhausts but until I can be sure that it will fit without welding or filing bits off, I'll keep my money in my pocket.
I presume that if any of us bought an exhaust for our car and it didn't fit, we'd take it back for a refund and moan like buggery. Seems as though we will put up with stuff that has to be worked on before it can be used. Whilst I'm not particularly aiming this at any particular dealer, and Ive had good experiences in the past with both MB and SC, there seems to be a fair few dealers that take the p155. We appear to have become accustomed to a level of product that most other groups wouldn't accept.
Autobahn
bazabod_downunder

Herman wrote:If I'd bought an old exhaust for 40 quid off ebay, I'd expect it to be a gamble as to whether it would fit.
If I bought an exhaust for over 200 quid for a standard top end, I wouldn't expect to have to cut, file or weld anything or pay anyone to do it for me. (For that kind of money, I'd also expect it to be painted! How much would it cost the producers to have these painted as a job lot?). I was considering buying one the the exhausts but until I can be sure that it will fit without welding or filing bits off, I'll keep my money in my pocket.
I presume that if any of us bought an exhaust for our car and it didn't fit, we'd take it back for a refund and moan like buggery. Seems as though we will put up with stuff that has to be worked on before it can be used. Whilst I'm not particularly aiming this at any particular dealer, and Ive had good experiences in the past with both MB and SC, there seems to be a fair few dealers that take the p155. We appear to have become accustomed to a level of product that most other groups wouldn't accept.
Couldn't agree more & in essence that is my biggest gripe, I've bought plenty of parts where I've pre known or suspected that I would have to weave a bit of magic to make it fit but I'm seriously not impressed with this set up so far, apparently 'Hours of development' have gone into this, well obviously not been passed on to quality control. I too can't see why there aren't painted can't cost that much to do a job lot, even just one colour, if you don't like it repaint it....any way back to fettling :O(
Muttley McLadd

There may be a long wait for Ron Moss' exhausts. But I bet they'll come painted.
CakeAndArseParty
soulsurfer

Muttley McLadd wrote:There may be a long wait for Ron Moss' exhausts. But I bet they'll come painted.
With black PJ1, not difficult to do to the MBGM, plus you could choose any colour, finish, or leave to go rusty for the latest look ;)

I dry fitted mind to a (mk1) GT186 with no fitting issues, and got it ceramic coated with Cermakrome from Camcoat...
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

I fit my pipe on my ts1 before I rebuild it and it went straight on, no fuss.
Muttley McLadd

soulsurfer wrote: Image
My goodness. Was that downpipe welded together by David Blunkett?
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information